!!Tablesaw kick back !!WARNING GROSS PICTURES

Bad stuff. Glad it wasn't worse.

Feel better soon.

Good thing it didn't hit you in the eye at least. I much prefer metal working to using table saws. Get better soon. Good halloween pictures! Night of the living dead! LOL
Mark S.

Got a piece of plywood to the groin area 2 years ago. Area still swollen no pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I"ll try to get a photo tomorrow-if I can find the piece--it was a short piece of 2x4 about 6 inches long and was ripping the 3 1/2 down to 3 1/16 using the rip fence (fence is dead on the money) was pushing the piece thru with hand draped over the fence
Feel better. As a woodworker I really understand. I got hit a couple of times. After the last I went and bought a welders apron at HF to prevent a puncture in the torso.
Even if your fence is on the money, sometimes the piece releases pent up forces and springs, either inward or outward.
you are very lucky, you were not knocked out and drop to the table and get cut by the blade.
I have a gripper, and also made a whole set of push blocks. I like the type that I can bear down on in case I feel a lift. If I do, then I hit the shutoff. It's not a sure way to avoid the kickback, but it's an option. I don't use a guard like most of us. Some of them would have prevented it from flying up, most wouldn't , they would just deflect it.
Even a Saw Stop would not have prevented that kick back.
Hope your recovery is fast, and painless. I think you will feel numb for a year or two, and might always have a fuzzy feeling around there. Hopefully not.. Good luck.

I’m so very sorry. I think we are all thankful that it did not happen any higher up on your face.

oh, damn. That's no minor injury. Sorry that happened, but thank's for sharing.

Sorry to see your accident, It looks really horrible and gives me the creeps thinking on what happened to you, Nasty occurances happen in a split second, and it could be any of us, What happens to a fellow member to all of us is a sad occurence, We in this little forum are a band of brothers. you take care and get better soon.

Short pieces make mean missiles , ouch, hope you heal quickly . Only way to cut shorts is with a large sled to keep the pressure down the table.

Wow John, That's gotta hurt (before the morphine anyway).

Eating is going to be a chore for a while, try to keep your strength up, maybe some of those meal replacement shakes?

I appreciate you sharing this with everyone.
We all need safety to be top of mind.
I wish you a speedy recovery.

-brino

years ago I was cutting a small piece of plywood on my new (used) table saw my old table saw was underpowered and would stall if I did something wrong my new saw is 5 hp triple v belt drive it doesn't stall my mistake was cutting a small piece of plywood 5x7" in which the 5 inch width was held against the fence and was cutting the 7 in. length and it kicked back and hit me square in the stomach. this knocked me back in the air about 3 feet. I remember seeing me feet in the air as I flew back. I had a 5" by 7" bruise and a very stinging stomach. what I learned was not to cut with a fence a piece that is longer than it was wide against the fence use the miter gauge. I was lucky that the board hit me flat (or mostly) or it would have gone right through me. I did have one corner poke into me and bleed a little. woodworking equipment is more dangerous than metal working equipment in my opinion. I still woodwork and machine at home. hope you get well soon and hope you get back on the horse. bill

Back