!!Tablesaw kick back !!WARNING GROSS PICTURES

Blade and fence alignment critical plus push by top pressure on front part of board to avoid it turning sideways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

yes this is true my blade and fence was within.002 of the miter slot. my message of not cutting a piece wider than long ( in smaller sizes) still stands. lucky to be alive. this rule comes from a cabinet making book I have not my own. bill

Ouch! Even with a properly adjusted fence crooked wood can get you in trouble. Unfortunately that mean all 2x lumber is suspect. I have luckily not been hurt but I did have a board kick back and go through a garage door window. It was also ripping a short piece of 2x4. Scared the $4!+ out of me!

Hope you heal quickly!

Blade and fence alignment critical plus push by top pressure on front part of board to avoid it turning sideways.

AND blade height has a lot to do with it too.
For ply we cut low so it doesn't splinter the veneer down on the way out. But with solid wood it's a good idea to go higher. A) for clearing the gullets, but B) because you want the blade cutting down into the table which also helps prevent the kick back by cutting down rather than toward you.. (this doesn't prevent it, but it helps, and it makes it easier to push. I always rip with my blade as High as I can, and always have a home made splitter in to avoid the internal stresses from pinching the blade.

For small chunks a sled works and for others we would use the miter slider and place a small block on the fence as a reference point.

Hold in miter and touch off the block then make the cut without the material touching anything except the miter.

That was a nasty reminder that the tools do not respect the operators.

Well my afternoon did not turn out quite as I had hoped.
I was ripping a short piece of 2x4 when right at the end of the cut it kicked back and hit me in the mouth and chin--knocked me right on my rear end:frown 2:Bleeding like a stuck pig.
There was nobody home except me so hopped in the truck and went to the clinic here in town and when they looked at it----said nothing they could do that I needed to go to the ER.
7 hrs later I am finally back home, with about 70 stitchesWife and daughter met me at the hospital.

View attachment 235048 View attachment 235049 View attachment 235050

This picture is after a couple rounds of morphine---no pain!!!!!!

View attachment 235058
Big pit in my stomach for you . . . Godspeed recovery. On the plus side you are alive, but shaken. Probably something you've done on the saw 1000 times before with no problems. Hopes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Bruce

Thanks for all the good wishes.

A little update--only getting worse--I wear partial dentures and the impact bent the uppers on the onto the anchor tooth. I knew my teeth were hurting and loose but thought they might tighten up with time. Anyhow with a lot of work and pain I finally got the uppers out and wake up this morning with the tooth laying in my mouth :confusion:
I knew at some point I would end up with full dentures but it's a little sooner than I wanted:guilty: Think I might have some damage to lower teeth but no way can I see a dentist yet.

Last edited:
Man you've got my prayers! Hang tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes I never have my blade 1/8" above my wood. along with hurting me I ruined a new blade ( knock off 2 carbide teeth) and totaled the table insert. plus hurt my feelings bill

Ouch! Sorry to see that happened to you. Hope you get through it as painlessly as possible.
I lost the tip of a finger and severely cut two others, from a kickback. I blame complacency in my case.

Back