Tablesaw talk

So I went to the box store yesterday, and couldn’t find any saw blade NOT in a blister pack. The prices were all over the place. 14-140 dollars...where do I draw the line? Currently I have the blade the saw came with from probably 2005 or so. I’d guess it’s a 40 tooth combination blade.

I have had great results with Freud blades from the big box stores. Cut very clean, run quiet and dont sing, can be resharpened, run true and have an anti stick coating on them. They sometimes are blister packed but they are a good blade imo.

Gosh it’s been awhile but I remember 10” 90 tooth finish cut blades were in the 100 range. You have a rockler near you?

Blister packing protects the carbide teeth from damage so nothing wrong there.
I too have had good luck with the cheaper Freud blades.
Folks used to rave about Forrest Woodworker II blades but I don't follow much WW anymore.
Have a Klingspoor store near you?

I think a Freud glue line and an ultimate crosscut ought to cover it. If I cut much plywood on the table saw, I would have a blade for that.

My choices are Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, Rural King, Ace Hardware...that’s about it I guess. I was at Menards, and Freud was the only name brand I’d remembered from this thread. They had a store brand, a bunch of Bosch blades, and one labeled CMT that had an orange non stick coating. I was hoping I could be fairly well armed with a fifty dollar bill. But I suppose considering my current blade is probably 14 years old, I can split the cost by at least a decade.

After a little searching, I believe Amazon will have to be my supplier. Thanks again!

Folks used to rave about Forrest Woodworker II blades but I don't follow much WW anymore.
I have Forrest's 10" Woodworker II on the table saw and their 12" Chopmaster on the mitre saw. Both are excellent blades - better than any other brand I have tried. Plus Forrest's sharpening service is reasonably priced -- and the blades come back like new.

Also, if you're in the market for a stacked dado set, Forrest makes a very nice one.

I've been using the Freud Diablo thin kerf blades (50T ATB combo and 80 tooth plastic cutting blade for Melamine ply) and have been pretty impressed with them. I used to buy Forrest blades, too, and they are good but also very expensive. For just home shop use, I've been happy with Freud.

Back