Tabletop mill or small knee mill on stand

've added material to the column that improved the stiffness by a factor of three. If you do buy one, let me know and I'll send you info on how to stiffen the column.

RodSME, any chance you could post your mods here or as a separate thread? I'm interested and I think others would be too. I have both a manual and cnc version of the G0619.

Best,

Chris

I sadly had no room for anything other than a bench top mill, but I have to say I've been pretty happy with my g0762. I'm envious of living anywhere close to Grizzly!

The only complaint I've had with my mill are minor:

The gib lock handles were made from uselessly soft pot metal of some sort, and the handles were too long (sometimes interfering with the dial handles or table). I ended up just removing the handles and leaving the bare hex head screws. I hung a t-handled nut driver nearby.

The drawbar was a little too loose in the spindle and would rattle around. I just made a little bushing at the top of the spindle which helped tremendously.

The mechanical power switch rotating plastic knob eventually fell out, but I leave that on all the time anyway, and just use the electronic power controls and EPO button.

It's slightly out of tram in the nod direction (about 0.0015") but I doubt I could tram such a heavy square column head any better with shims (and dread the thought of trying).

Overall it's been a great machine.

For my money I'd go large or go home. Get the biggest little knee mill you can , the table top models sound great but there very limited in lots of ways. Plus the swing of the head if you ever need to mill large pieces will help out the table mills are so limiting. You may not need all that but in a short time I bet you will.

I have an older Taiwan RF-45 type version of what's now sold at PM. For the size & price it was a good option. Many nice enhancements have been added & bugs ironed out. I would seriously get DRO, it makes the milling experience so much better on machines like these. You can read the feedback on the PM sub-forum & sounds like Matt is a very accommodating person.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-932M.html

I sadly had no room for anything other than a bench top mill, but I have to say I've been pretty happy with my g0762. I'm envious of living anywhere close to Grizzly!

The only complaint I've had with my mill are minor:

The gib lock handles were made from uselessly soft pot metal of some sort, and the handles were too long (sometimes interfering with the dial handles or table). I ended up just removing the handles and leaving the bare hex head screws. I hung a t-handled nut driver nearby.

The drawbar was a little too loose in the spindle and would rattle around. I just made a little bushing at the top of the spindle which helped tremendously.

The mechanical power switch rotating plastic knob eventually fell out, but I leave that on all the time anyway, and just use the electronic power controls and EPO button.

It's slightly out of tram in the nod direction (about 0.0015") but I doubt I could tram such a heavy square column head any better with shims (and dread the thought of trying).

Overall it's been a great machine.
Hello, I am guessing the nod direction is the Y axis. I was out of tram by nearly the same amount as well. I ended up using tin foil to get is closer but it was not fun and took me quite a while. For the small repair parts I do this machine has been great.

Back