Tach IR mounting ideas. Sieg X2D

Pinresto

Active User
Registered
IR sensor mounting ideas. Sieg X2D

I've built my machtach and I'm putting it in a box now. Next I need to mount the IR sensor. Does anyone have pics or ideas of mounting solutions that worked out well? I can either fix the sensor in the black drawbar cap but I'm not sure if it needs light to work. Or, I can mount it under the hard behind the spindle. Unfortunately there's no where I can drill and tap for a bracket behind the spindle. I'm not sure what I would be drilling into. Ideas anyone?

Last edited:
When I built my first MachTach, I tried the optical sensor, but didn't get very consistent results, so I changed to the Hall sensor with 6 magnets spaced around the outboard end of the spindle. I held them on with black tape, but later went with heat shrink tubing (large) after the tape started to loosen up with the machine oil.

It does not need light to work. When I did mine I found a spot on the spindle shaft that I could get to and placed 4 pieces of the silver tape after I put on a layer of black electrical tape so the sensor sees black then the silver strip. Works great with the IR sensor for me.

You can place I think from two to 16 or more silver strips but more does not improve sensitivity. At least 4 lets it show lowest speeds. It is all in the instructions.

I noticed when the door is open to the light and I shine a bright light there like when changing speed gears the sensor doesn't work, bright direct light interferes.

Back