Taig cross slide (PN1200) on sherline?

bradells

Registered
Registered
Curious as to the dimensions of the Taig Top/Crosside would fit on the Sherline cross slide to make a compound?

I’m not too concerned about loss of part size for this project....

Also, curious if the Y axis dovetails are the same (I already have the sherline riser blocks, but want to add some custom fixtures). Ie does PN125x fit on the sherline?

Thanks,

Brad

Out of the box, the Taig Top/ Crosslide will not work on my Sherline lathe. One picture shows the Taig Compound Top Crosslide sitting on a Sheline lathe. The other picture shows the unique tee-nut swivel that holds the Taig unit to the taig lathe.DSCN1126.JPGDSCN1127.JPG

* Taig T-Slots / T-nuts are a different size than what Sherline takes. The Taig has an interesting very special swiviling t-nut apparatus to hold it to the crossslide.

* Lathe centerline heights are different.

I do not have riser blocks on my Sherline lathe. There may be a possibility of doing modifications and rigging the Taig crosslide to a Sherline that has riser blocks.

I don't understand the question about Y axis dovetails.
But for sure the dovetails are different on the lathes as well as the t-slots.

Out of the box, the Taig Top/ Crosslide will not work on my Sherline lathe. One picture shows the Taig Compound Top Crosslide sitting on a Sheline lathe. The other picture shows the unique tee-nut swivel that holds the Taig unit to the taig lathe.

* Taig T-Slots / T-nuts are a different size than what Sherline takes. The Taig has an interesting very special swiviling t-nut apparatus to hold it to the crossslide.

* Lathe centerline heights are different.

I do not have riser blocks on my Sherline lathe. There may be a possibility of doing modifications and rigging the Taig crosslide to a Sherline that has riser blocks.

I can't find much (ie any) documentation for Taig equipment on the internet, so I hope you don't mind some further questions...
  • It looks like the T-Nuts slide together to provide the attachment to the T-Slot?
  • Would you mind shooting some dimensions on their T-Nut? It looks bigger all around..
  • And the relation of the slide to the T-Nut is how the compound angle is set?
I do have riser blocks installed, so the higher tool height isn't a big concern to me (obviously, it won't work without some kind of riser for the headstock)

I don't understand the question about Y axis dovetails.
But for sure the dovetails are different on the lathes as well as the t-slots.

Hard to tell sizes from non-related internet pictures :p
With some tooling at easily 1/2 the cost between the two, just seeing if it would be easier to modify the Taig, or just build it all from scratch

Thanks,

Brad

Brad, I'm just curious why you want to fit a Taig compound to your Sherline lathe. What is the advantage? You can already cut threads and tapers without it and do so more rigidly, although I admit it may be slower. At least to my way of thinking, a compound will reduce rigidity in your set up, which is why I'm curious.

Brad, I'm just curious why you want to fit a Taig compound to your Sherline lathe. What is the advantage? You can already cut threads and tapers without it and do so more rigidly, although I admit it may be slower. At least to my way of thinking, a compound will reduce rigidity in your set up, which is why I'm curious.

Hi Mikey,

Great question. There are some features that I can’t do by rotating the headstock (part is too large to fit inside the spindle, and too long to reach).

That would also requiring to crack the headstock loose, then realign it and glue it back in place.

Also I do work between centers. While one could cut light tapers that way, the angles I’m looking for are greater than that would produce.

It would be a temporary fixture for those times when it is needed... for half the price with a bit of machining than the sherline version..

Brad

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I recall that I looked into using the Taig compound on my Sherline, too. I chose not to do it because it would require me to use riser blocks and I don't like to do that.

I can't find much (ie any) documentation for Taig equipment on the internet, so I hope you don't mind some further questions...
  • It looks like the T-Nuts slide together to provide the attachment to the T-Slot?
  • Would you mind shooting some dimensions on their T-Nut? It looks bigger all around..
  • And the relation of the slide to the T-Nut is how the compound angle is set?
I do have riser blocks installed, so the higher tool height isn't a big concern to me (obviously, it won't work without some kind of riser for the headstock)

Hard to tell sizes from non-related internet pictures :p
With some tooling at easily 1/2 the cost between the two, just seeing if it would be easier to modify the Taig, or just build it all from scratch

Thanks,

Brad
so,

The Taig T-slot is made so that it accepts a standard 10-32 square nut, which measures 0.365 square and 0.126" thick. Regular 10-32 capscrews and all threads fit nicely into the nut which fits in the t slot. I haven't taken the time accurately measure the t slot.

Now, for the observation and some more pictures.

I believe that if you have the riser blocks on your Shreline lathe, you have room enough to modify the Taig slide and make it work. You can take the bottom part of the cross slide and modify it to fit on your Sherline I'm sure. Here are some photos to ponder:IMG_2106.JPGIMG_2107.JPGIMG_2108.JPGIMG_2109.JPGIMG_2110.JPG

so,

The Taig T-slot is made so that it accepts a standard 10-32 square nut, which measures 0.365 square and 0.126" thick. Regular 10-32 capscrews and all threads fit nicely into the nut which fits in the t slot. I haven't taken the time accurately measure the t slot.

Awesome!

Most helpful

Brad

Back