Taig Mill - 4th Axis CNC continous indexing?

Nate Banton

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

This is my first post here.

I'm very strongly considering getting a Taig Mill and adding onto it the Sherline rotary table, set up probably semi-permanently.

I make bagpipes for a living. (though I'd certianly put my machining skill level at low hobbyist!). When I apprenticed we had a giant Bridgeport mill for tool making and also using to shape certain parts of the bagpipes. But I've been making do with a milling attachment on my southbend lathe. I feel like it's finally time (12 years) to get a mill. Another bagpipe maker recommended the Taig and I think it looks great.

I've been wanting to get into CNC work for some time. I have a lot of parts cast in brass using 3d printed wax models. So I'm pretty decent at the 3d modeling part of things. So I think I'll be going with the CNC version of the Taig mill.

Here's my question: I need a mill, so a mill is what I'm buying, but I'd love to someday have a CNC router with a 4th axis/rotary set up to do more complicated 3d shapes in wood. Something to the effect of this sort of thing:

But on a much smaller scale. Could I do that on the Taig mill? Not as well obviously, but is that sort of idea possible? I realize the spindle speed will be slower for one, but can I set up the electronics and software to do something like that?

Thanks for you help. And I appreciate the opportunity to be part of this community.

I do have a Taig mill. Great little mill. However, mine is not a CNC version. Actually I know very little about CNC. In any event, Taig does have a You tube channel that might be of help. You may want to call Taig. They will be very helpful. The customer service is excellent.

Back