Taig mill "quill", or lack thereof

matthew-s

Registered
Registered
Hi. Looking to do some model engineering. Stationary steam up to maybe 3/4" scale Kozo A3 if I'm feeling rash.

Considering adding Taig mill to my atlas 618 and old atlas drill press.

For Taig owners, does the lack of quill feed drive you mad? How do you work aground this? Maybe just spot drill for position on the Taig and finish drilling on a drill press?

The alternative would be to get a little machine shop 3990 or similar that has lever-fed quill.

Thanks!

I guess it depends on what size holes you plan to drill. If it's 1/8" or less you could use a "Sensitive Drill Feed"

When I used a Sherline Mill and needed to drill through holes. I used a "Sensitive Drill Feed" mounted in the chuck of the Mill. I could then advance the drill using the Knurled Ring and my fingers. They typically have ~3/4" travel. If I was drilling a blind hole, I had to resort the cranking and cranking and ....

Sensitive Drill : http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3790

3790.480.jpg

Thanks. That is a lot of holes pstemari, and I was not aware of the sensitive chuck.

I had not really given much thought to hole size requirements. I'd guess the holes for most fasteners used in the projects I describe in my requirements are < 1/8"? I have no idea. I do know that the mill won't see work that can't also fit on the atlas 618.

I guess I'll have to do a little more research. I would not want to spend the cash on the taig to find out it's workflow will drive me insane.

Worst case, the 1/8" is a good pil buhot size.

I personally didn't find the cranking for drilling to be onerous. Ten cranks handles most holes you'll be drilling on a Taig.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back