tail stock chuck

whatnoreally

Registered
Registered
So I bought a deceased tool die makers home shop a few months ago... the enco style rf35 mill and clarkson 12-26 lathe + hundreds endmills, taps, reamers and associated equipment like rotary table, 4 jaw face plate, dogs supports etc. (another band saw which I sold) and hundreds of pounds of raw stock were in his basement which was not fun but worth the work. I know the son cherry picked things he wanted from the setup before I got there (and rightfully so, it was his to do so); mill vice, indicators, height gauges, surface plate and some other odds n ends, I know this from finding pieces of the stuff that he didn't realize went with his pieces. although he gave me a couple machinist books from the late 60s which I figured had some value but I didn't complain. long story short I don't have any drill chuck for the tailstock of the lathe; haven't measured what type of taper is in the stock, thats no issue but Im not sure which or where to get the chuck from for the best value, Im just a hobbyist so I don't need the highest precision. any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have used several Grizzly 1/2" keyless chucks. Combined runout for chuck plus MT3 - JT6 adapter is a little over .001". The specific chuck that I have used is their G8234.

so just to feel a little silly I went and measured the taper to find out it is indeed a #2 which I thought "oh Iv got an arbor for that and a retired princess auto chuck (run out measured in fractions lol) just to get me rolling while waiting"... well while looking for a key for it I came across a rohm chuck in one of the drawers of stuff. its solid hefty chuck and adds quite a bit of stick out to the tailstock but money well saved lol. thanks for the input anyways.

Back