Tail stock die holder

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My adventure of threading 4 studs for course, and fine thread for my bearing retainer left a lot to be desired for getting straight threads. Looking online there are of course a large assortment of TS die holders. I did a short search, and all of the holders I found were for round dies, are there hex die TS holders? Brand suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

Hex Dies are only for re-threading not for cutting threads....

Round dies are made for cutting threads....

Hex Dies are only for re-threading not for cutting threads....

Round dies are made for cutting threads....
Both statements are misleading. The first is simply not true, and the second is not inclusive of other valid uses. The truth is that dies are made in varying external shapes, regardless of their intended uses, and with different geometry where the threads start, which can be positive rake or negative rake. Different tool holding needs (like working in tight quarters) require different driving tools, and dies are manufactured for those needs. No offense to you intended, Cooter. It is a common misunderstanding that has been carried down for many decades. It is simple, easy to remember, and incomplete. I had the same understanding for decades, until the truth was explained to me. The reality is more complicated...

Here is a previous posting that goes into more detail:

I have an old small set of Craftsman taps & dies and I have used the hex dies to cut threads plenty of times without issue. I believe they were made by Vermont USA.

I'm not sure if re-threading & thread restoring is the same as I assume it is but I have a set of thread restoring taps & dies. Well they they're not actually taps & dies, I'll just call them that in this post but the taps don't look like threading taps & the dies aren't big like threading dies, more just like nuts, like the size of the hex head for a given size bolt. The restoring taps & dies also don't have large reliefs for chips to evacuate like threading taps & dies do.

This set has saved my butt many times when I worked in automotive, they're basically like a bolt or nut with grooves cut in the thread (which is what I used to do before getting this set). They'll clean and form damaged threads back into place, they won't cut as they are not sharp, unlike when you use a threading taps & dies on a damaged thread which I don't like to do.

I always had the impression that hex dies were geared more towards home & automotive use since they can be used with a wrench or socket & round dies were more for machining and production use as they usually come as split dies. But of course there are round dies that are not split. This is most likely not true, it's just what I used to think.

I haven't seen any hex tailstock die holders for sale online nor have I ever seen one in real life. I'm sure someone has made one but without a mill or shaper it would be difficult. Maybe you could make one based on a 6 point socket.

If I need to get round dies for the TS holder I will, and the proper ones to use. My understanding is the split dies can be adjusted for thread depth, other than that I don't know dies.....

In the past, and even today Snap On makes thread cutting dies in a variety of configurations as Bob mentioned. They make round (to be used with the standard die handle, hex shape that could be used with a 6 point (hex) socket, and even 12 point.

I bought this set from a guy that makes the set and sells on eBay. Definitely worth it. It is high quality and works great.

9E0133CD-6A03-4BC9-A11C-6B4FBC86593A.jpeg

I had the question about hex dies and contacted the maker. I was able to use the largest die holder and make a collar to insert. Long set screws go all the way through the collar and hold the hex die.

Can make a round die holder that just fits and hold the hex with set screws

EF2B5F6F-E66E-4EB9-A960-F269B8714368.jpeg

BDCC62D0-5BDB-43A5-906B-61AAB8667FB8.jpeg

Thank you for the ideas, and pictures.

Both statements are misleading. The first is simply not true, and the second is not inclusive of other valid uses. The truth is that dies are made in varying external shapes, regardless of their intended uses, and with different geometry where the threads start, which can be positive rake or negative rake. Different tool holding needs (like working in tight quarters) require different driving tools, and dies are manufactured for those needs. No offense to you intended, Cooter. It is a common misunderstanding that has been carried down for many decades. It is simple, easy to remember, and incomplete. I had the same understanding for decades, until the truth was explained to me. The reality is more complicated...

Here is a previous posting that goes into more detail:

My dad had an ASE and Metric set of "Thread Chasers." They looked like hex dies but clearly box marked Thread Chaser. From the 50s. Clearly made for cleaning up threads but not made for new threads. May have been part of the confusion on that.

Back