Tail stock hand wheel

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The hand wheel on my PM 1228 is a 4" diameter, and I saw some unfinished hand wheels in different diameters online. I don't recall reading here if that would be a popular/good upgrade, has anyone done it, and what would be a good diameter to go with? I'm thinking about a 6"

I’ve bought multiple hand wheels online (Grizzly, EBay, etc), and changed them on mills and lathes. To me its what you want and what is comfortable for you.

What I wish the hand wheel on my lathe had is an accurate dial so you could know to say .001 or maybe .0005 how far the quill had traveled.

Mine has graduations on the hand wheel base, plus the new one has a DRO... :)

Mine has graduations on the hand wheel base, plus the new one has a DRO... :)
Did it come with a DRO or did you add it? Picture?

Regards

The PM 1228 has the graduations, the new one has the graduations, (I'm just assuming), and I added the DRO with installation from PM.

Reactions: tjb
Is there a good brand of aftermarket hand wheels?

What I wish the hand wheel on my lathe had is an accurate dial so you could know to say .001 or maybe .0005 how far the quill had traveled.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make one... assuming, of course, that the tailstock shaft configuration is such that it could be mounted behind the wheel... or to the wheel.

I have thought about it on my Hendeys... they don't have the graduations on the quill like my South Bend does.

I have not actually studied it to see what it would take to do it yet, though...

-Bear

There are graduations on the quill on my lathe marked in either 1/16 or 1/8". Not very precise. I haven't looked to see how hard it might be to add a dial to the current hand wheel.

The hand wheel on my PM 1228 is a 4" diameter, and I saw some unfinished hand wheels in different diameters online. I don't recall reading here if that would be a popular/good upgrade, has anyone done it, and what would be a good diameter to go with? I'm thinking about a 6"

I would think a 6" handwheel would be a good upgrade over a 4"... the last one I bought I got from e-bay...

I would probably try to find a cast iron wheel. The aluminum wheels just feel... well... light... and I don't like the plastic ones.

But... that is my opinion. I mostly play with much older machines, and aluminum and plastic just don't seem right on them.

McMaster has a decent selection, and you can get them with finished center holes or unfinished, IIRC.

-Bear

Back