Tailstock chuck mount

stavrious

Registered
Registered
Hi, if I understand correctly you are asking if a standard exists for the tapered bore / bore of the drill Chuck. Correct? I have several jacobs super ball bearing chucks which accept the MT2 arbour. When I go up in size the larger jacobs only fit the MT3 arbour. You need to verify the bore on the Chuck and match it to the standard arbour size. The chucks are mounted through friction, so tolerances matter. But I’ve had reasonable luck with off the shelf parts... imports mostly.

For example you’ll see listings here in North America for “Jacobs 14N to MT2 arbour”

Also I would like to bring to your attention the wearhouse deal link at the bottom. Wearhouse deals are excellent generally. Could be helpful in saving

Attachments

• A6C59DD0-3D4A-4A9C-8AD5-3F65BB766B55.jpeg
    A6C59DD0-3D4A-4A9C-8AD5-3F65BB766B55.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi, if I understand correctly you are asking if a standard exists for the tapered bore / bore of the drill Chuck. Correct? I have several jacobs super ball bearing chucks which accept the MT2 arbour. When I go up in size the larger jacobs only fit the MT3 arbour. You need to verify the bore on the Chuck and match it to the standard arbour size. The chucks are mounted through friction, so tolerances matter. But I’ve had reasonable luck with off the shelf parts... imports mostly.

For example you’ll see listings here in North America for “Jacobs 14N to MT2 arbour”
there is the jacobs standart but the rohm keyless chucks are B12, B16..it s all new to me and a little confusing.

There’s a lot of learning to all of this, my suggestion would be to find a reference for the B sized chucks. They are small, if memory serves me correctly, and I no longer have them in my shop.

Welcome to H-M

From what I can find on the chuck, it uses a 3/8"-24 tread to mount. You would need a MT2 to 3/8"-24 arbor like this.

Regarding your other question about larger drill chucks. You would typically get better runout from a chuck which uses a Taper to mount it vs threads. In general threads are not good at consistently centering things especially when compared to tapers.

For example: My Precision Drill Chuck has a JT33 (Jacobs Taper #33) to mount to the arbor. So in my case I have a MT2 to JT33 arbor.
Something like this: https://allindustrial.com/all-indus...33-tang-hardened-mt2-33jt-jacobs-morse-taper/

Last edited:
The taper comment about accuracy becomes more crucial as you become more capable. When drilling a “circle” becomes a priority you really don’t want to drill an ellipse.

hello i have a MT2 in the lathes tailstock and i got this chuck
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003IMNPKE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for smaller drill bits.i ll also need one for bigger ones so i want to ask if the mount of the chuck to the morse taper is of any importance in order to look for a chuck with a specific mount or it makes no diference.i m new here,so i hope this is the right place to ask
The chuck in the link mounts on a 3/8-24 thread. For it to go in the tail stock you need or already have an arbor like this https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/?itemCode=1-507-330
Any additional chuck you buy should have the same 3/8-24 mount so that it will fit on the same arbor.
If the new chuck has a different mount than the 3/8-24 you will need to buy different arbor to suit the chuck.

thanks for your input guys,i ll get the recomented adapter and look for a biger chuck without threads.

The B** tapers are a metric standard. They are not compatible with JT. As long as the abor taper matches the back of the chuck you are fine. Some imported chucks use B tapers.

Back