Tailstock Difficulties of Removing Parts

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I have a Sears lathe #101.28940 that I pickup awhile back so the first thing started doing is take it apart for cleaning and preping for paint.Will I got to the tail stock and for the most part it came apart pretty easy except on the end removing the handwheel and the thread rod I try to remove part #36 bearing which I guess screws in.Right now I have the small hole plug and tailstock standing up so that WD40 may soak into the threads I think.On the end of the part #36 is a slot that I tried to take a thick 2" washer to use to try and unscrew that part.Guys does this part screw in or is it press in?Have any tricks for removing???Thanks---kroll
If I knew how to post a pic of that page in the download section I would,sorry.

i owned an Atlas th42 (10x42), on that model the rear "bushing" for lack of better description, unscrewed from the tailstock housing.
if i'm not mistaken a lot of models worked that way. mine was right handed thread. start by turning the threaded shaft a couple turns so you are not binding, use your favorite penetrating fluid, and let it set a couple days, resoak morning and night. it will come off.
my was very stuck at first. i used a lot of PB Blaster for a couple days before it would come off for me.
the material is zamak, a combination of zinc,aluminum,magnesium,and copper.
don't try to put too much pressure on it, it may crack if you put too much horsepower on it.

Kroll,

As Doc says, the tailstock screw bearing screws into the main tailstock casting. It is the same part number, 10D-30, from the 10D through the final model 12". WD-40 is a poor penetrant. Use something like PB Blaster, Kroil, etc. However, if you can't get it out, unless the bore is badly worn I wouldn't spend too much time at it. Unless you need to install a new bearing, there isn't anything useful that you can do to the two parts separately that you can't do with them together.

Robert D.

Will as the saying goes "let sleeping dogs lye" which is what I did.I tried PB and let it set over night and nothing.There is a very thick washer which looks original to the tail stock but no thrust bearing.Is this normal????----kroll

The thick washer, part number 9-90, is the thrust bearing. It goes onto the screw before you put the screw through the bearing. You might want to turn it over before assembly.

Robert D.

Back