Tailstock Upgrade on My SB 9 Lathe

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
With all the upgrades on my South Bend 9 lathe I am really happy with it. The first upgrade was to change the feed direction lever to one from a 10K lathe. The spring loaded pull lever is much easier than loosening and tightening the lever bolt.

The second upgrade was changing the compound and cross slide to the large dials. This makes using the lathe so much nicer.

Now I am upgrading the tailstock. I will be adding a large dial like on the cross slide. This will require making a new tailstock lead screw, a new nut for the rear of the tailstock casting, and a graduated dial. I will also be adding thrust needle bearings on both sides of the nut.
These two photos show the new nut with bearing pockets cut on each side.
20170729_152018_HDR.jpg 20170729_152007_HDR.jpg

Next will be to make the graduated dial.

Mark, how are you feeling? Should I take this to mean that you are over that virus?
That lathe is going to be one of the nicest tricked out 9A's...

Mark, how are you feeling? Should I take this to mean that you are over that virus?
That lathe is going to be one of the nicest tricked out 9A's...
Unfortunately it is a 9B, but yes it will be pimped out nicely and since I got things aligned, it cuts much better.

As for my heath, I am supposed to be over the virus. I am going to demand to be retested I think. I want to know if I am past that nasty dangerous crap. Today was the first day I spent any time in my shop. I still tire easily so I am not working too hard and I take a lot of breaks. I have to work up to getting my strength back. I can't believe the doctor just assumes I am better because the symptoms go away. As dangerous as that infection is, I would think they want to know.

I'd like to change the turn cam on my logan to a lever type. When you feel better or not to busy , could you tell me how . I'm pretty good at figuring things out . If I put my mine to something I make it work. I thought of just taking the hand nut off add a cam lever and be done.

Ok ....... I got some more done on my tailstock upgrade.

20170730_105025_HDR.jpg
This is the new screw for the tailstock.

20170730_105058_HDR.jpg
This is the order of assembly. There will be a thrust bearing on each side of the nut.

20170730_105111_HDR.jpg
This is the nut and screw assembled.

20170730_113813_HDR.jpg
I have started making the graduated dial.

I finished the tail stock upgrade.
20170801_111057_HDR.jpg
This is the completed upgrade.
20170801_111219_HDR.jpg

I set the tailstock quill on 0 and cranked it out.125" and the 1/8" mark lined up perfectly. I really gonna like this upgrade.

Back