Take the drill out of the tailstock when you're done drilling

I guess I am just lucky, as I have not had any issues with items left in the tailstock. I do push the tailstock to the far end of the bed when I am done with it though, something that was taught to me in high school machine shop many years ago.

Something I have to be particularly careful with as my lathe is so short only 16" between centers. so even pushing the tailstock to the end doesn't really get it out of harm's way.

What I am finally learning is that once you have performed your operation every thing has to be placed somewhere. You use a hammer you set it down (somewhere). The thing to learn is since you have to set it down somewhere set it down in it's place.
Put it back where it belongs!!
I've put many a screw driver, pliers, or wire cutters in my back pocket. It's kinda hard on the ole' seat.

I've put many a screw driver, pliers, or wire cutters in my back pocket. It's kinda hard on the ole' seat.

I did that once (well, more than once) with a wrench while I went in to get a cup of coffee. Came back out and was going to get back to work, but could not find the doggone wrench. Hunted high and low for it, cussed, swore, carried on like a wild man, could not find the wrench.

Finally one of my sons said, "Hey pops, what's that in your back pocket?"

That was about ten years ago, and he still reminds me of it from time to time, the little brat.

I don't care where a cutting tool is hanging out of which machine, some part of my body will find it. So much so that I keep a bottle of skin "super glue" on the top of the tool box.

Last edited:
Back