taking a Logan 12" apart to move

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 2557vh that I need to move. My thought is to separate the lathe itself from the cabinet and move it in 2 pieces. I am wondering if anyone sees an issue doing it this way?

Is it an under drive ? If so you may have to cut the belt, other than that should be no issues that I could imagine, although I don't know that lathe.

It is an underdrive, with what I think is called a "Reeves drive". It has a handle to dial the speed up or down.

Investigator, the V-belts on that lathe can be changed without disassembling any other parts of the lathe. So, although I have never done it, separating the lathe from the base should be pretty straight forward. Do you have the manual? If not, PM me with your Email add. and I will send you a PDF copy. Actually, I think I put it in the Downloads section. Good luck with the move, JR49

JR,

Logan 2557 manual isn't in DOWNLOADS. But you are welcome to upload it if you have it.

Investigator, the V-belts on that lathe can be changed without disassembling any other parts of the lathe. So, although I have never done it, separating the lathe from the base should be pretty straight forward. Do you have the manual? If not, PM me with your Email add. and I will send you a PDF copy. Actually, I think I put it in the Downloads section. Good luck with the move, JR49
I have read that in the manual, but on mine you need to at least take apart one end of the jackshaft to completely remove the belt. Maybe they changed designs somewhere along the 25xx series production. IF you have that manual in PDF ... please post it. I have hard copy ... but have much better luck reading (and looking at diagrams) on the computer.

Of course he doesn't even need to remove the belt completely ... just has to have enough slack (raise the motor and the jackshaft) to take it off the top pulley and pull into cabinet.

JR,

Logan 2557 manual isn't in DOWNLOADS. But you are welcome to upload it if you have it.
Will put it in the downloads latter tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. JR49

OK. Thanks.

OK. Thanks.

wa5cab, or anyone more computer savy than this old man, I'm afraid I'm gonna need a short tutorial. I put a different manual in Downloads over a year ago and as I recall I had no problems. I tried last night and was lost, I put the name and short description in but then it wanted another longer description (what can I say-its a manual), anyway, that's as far as I got, I tried clicking all the options, but kept getting an error message. Please help, JR49

wa5cab, or anyone more computer savy than this old man, I'm afraid I'm gonna need a short tutorial. I put a different manual in Downloads over a year ago and as I recall I had no problems. I tried last night and was lost, I put the name and short description in but then it wanted another longer description (what can I say-its a manual), anyway, that's as far as I got, I tried clicking all the options, but kept getting an error message. Please help, JR49

Here is a link that may help you. Let's start here first.

How to use Hobby Machinist Downloads

Back