Taking it to the final size

Tony
It should be like wax on/ wax off!

The Master would say
Pay close attention to details Grass hopper, When you can cut to the tenth,, You have learned ;)

I cut to tenths now that I have had decent lathes!!(for the past 35 years).

I have no problems cutting to the tenth! 0.1 Do I get branded now?

Frank

I have no problem cutting to a tenth either Frank.
Do you get branded now? Ok, I will brand you as a
OLDIE, and not a NEWBIE, as this thread was intended to help.:rofl::rofl:

this thread is helpful to me thanks guys
steve

Oh Boy I'm branded as an Ole Fart :lmao: Do dat mean I don't have to shave my head and wear white pajamas?
Oh By the way, good teaching job! I had nothing to add.
Frank

:rofl::rofl: Frank, as a Ole Fart myself, I thought when we graduated to old farts, we gave up shaving, and wearing pajamas too.:lmao::whistle:

good stuff so far.

I also use the compound for the last couple of paths and run each setting twice to remove material that was left from tool deflection.

never thought about heat though - thanks for bringing this up.

:rofl::rofl: Frank, as a Ole Fart myself, I thought when we graduated to old farts, we gave up shaving, and wearing pajamas too.:lmao::whistle:

and all this time I thought they said I'm a "Pretty Smart Feller, not pretty fart smeller"!

I use shear type tools to get me out of a bind when I'm like say .001 off. With that tool you can literally make swarf that floats down like snow flakes.

Steve

Have you got a pic or a link to such a tool?

Thanks,

M

good stuff so far.

I also use the compound for the last couple of paths and run each setting twice to remove material that was left from tool deflection.

never thought about heat though - thanks for bringing this up.

Sharon

Thats a good habit in my book. Ive gotton into the habit of using the compound for the last few hairs of the job. My old lathe has a compound dial of 100 grads per rev, and have adapted a 200 grads per rev dial to the compound so Its easyer for me to dial in the fine cuts.

Next time you think of it, mic a work piece while its still warm, then re mic it a room temp, might surprize you. Some materials have a greater expansion rate than others.

We all have a scrap bin, but small details can keep it from growing to enormous size :whistle:

Back