Taking Micrometer Apart

Brento

Registered
Registered
I would like to take this Micrometer apart to turn it into a hard micrometer stop for my lathe. Does anyone know how i can get the barrel off with the increments? Is it pressed into the frame?

It should be. You align the increments by turning the barrell

I screwed the anvil off and not id like to get the barrel off or the whole unit off of the U shaped Frame.

If it was me, I'd look on e bay for a micrometer head unit without frame, I see them fairly often, perhaps cheaper than MSC. A regular micrometer does not make the best lathe stop, the threads (40TPI) are easily damaged by excessive end thrust; you might consider making a similar stop with 20 TPI, like 1/2"-20. I have a commercially made one off a Monarch tool room lathe that I adapted for my 19" Regal Leblond, it looks like a common micrometer, but with a larger barrel.

Okay i'm just trying to re-purpose this mic that i wont use for normal things. Don't have money right now to really buy things so i figured maybe i can make one if it fails. It fails.

I've seen people make carriage stops with micrometer heads but I also wouldn't do it. As said, too delicate (not sure how big your lathe is). I also wonder how well the carbide face will hold up. It may chip but I suppose you could make a cap or a pad for it.

I suppose it should be ok of you don't run the carriage hard onto it. I've always wanted a turret carriage stop, would be much more useful for me. Something like this.

20190524_180449.jpg

Here's another style worth considering making.

This reminds me, I need to make me a carriage stop too. I was given an unfinished one for my lathe. But I have to remake it as it won't clear my way wiper covers now. I'll resuse the dial it came with. People make em with a big dial like this too. Just need a mill & dividing to make the dial though.

20190524_181053.jpg

I may make that turret style one to. That would be a nice little project. Just need to figure out a good way to stop it.

This may be of help

Back