Taking Steps

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I do. I plan out my projects to completion; but, it is only the finished item that is planned out. Steps along the way often cause a pause in progress. How do I do this next part? In machining, this often requires making another tool. Can't have too many tools though!

In this thread, I'm hoping to hear how others may have found quicker "get er done" solutions than the usual go build what you need on another lathe or mill so you can finish the job. Please share for those that both don't have the space & multiple machines to work with such conundrums.

Great question!

Very early in my chip making adventures I painted myself into a corner. I was able to use a friend's lathe to resolve the issue, but I learned to do a lot of pre-planning to insure that didn't happen again. Many times now I spend more time planning than actually making chips, this is especially critical when using CNC machines. There are really no shortcuts for this if you want the operation to go smoothly. Machining or building a project is really just an excersize in solving a bunch of small problems.

There are three major questions that are common to all projects. 1) How to hang onto the work? 2) How to reach the target surface with the tool bit? 3) How to measure the result? Have an answer for all of these before ever making a chip. Sometimes this is simple and obvious, sometimes requires some real thought and planning.

For complex projects I'm ''machining'' the entire project in my head as I am designing it. Design the parts to fit the tools & equipment that are available. Study the drawing or sketch and picture the tool bits cutting the material, then ask is that going to work? Can you reach the surface that you want to cut? Is there another operations that should be done first to facilitate measuring or setup? Is a special tool going to be needed to make it all work? Is there another way to do it?

Each component becomes its own mini-project. In the design phase, figure out what machine(s), tooling, how you are going to hang onto each part while machining, and what fixturing (if any) is required. Go through the entire process, step by step, in your head before ever making a chip. Spend the time needed to get the order of operation correct so you don't have to backtrack.

Working from customer drawings has the added limitation of not being able to redesign the part to facilitate the work, you have to plan the work even more carefully. I had one the other day where a bolt circle had to be clocked to a slot. So, do the bolt circle or the slot first? My first inclination was to do the slot first, but then I realized that I didn't have an effective way to align the slot to place the bolt circle without building a special measuring tool, they were in different planes. But doing the bolt circle first and using a couple of shoulder screws in the holes I was able to dial in the bolt circle to cut the slot. I went completely through both methods before I made any chips.

As you gain more experience, this will become second nature and you will do it automatically without even thinking about it. It really does get easier over time.

WOW!!! I was hoping to hear some amusing anecdotes - because it is so easy to learn from them. But Jim Dawson has given manna from heaven for the perfect answer. I thank you Sir! That is the perfect opening statement on the 1st day of a semester in .... Oh, they don't teach this any more. Makes it needed all the more!

Said another way, a good machinist has the spatial ability to mentally rotate 3D objects in his mind. Without that, a lot of time and material gets wasted. For example: being able to visualize ahead of time that milling Surface B before Surface A will result in something that can't be clamped down for the second operation.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I was just doing this very thing yesterday.

I’m halfway through a gear cutting project and have discovered my indexing centres won’t allow me to cut the last four gears. So I am figuring on how to get around the problem. This is an example of what I may typically do to work through the steps. This is just jotted down as notes on my phone while I’m thinking about it.

091E1ECE-9B02-4FDF-A2FC-65AAD6682CB9.jpeg

Depending on how long I think about a problem the notes may turn out to be the entire solution if I’ve worked through all the machinations, or as in this case more of a way to remember how to think and what to remember when I take it back to the shop. One way is completely solved, the other way is more like “ok, this should work, but just remember these critical points as I wing it in the shop”.

-frank

This is the stuff we cannot typically learn well from YouTube videos. We can learn setups, use of various tooling, and much more, but we are typically not involved in the choosing of the sequence of operations that the machinist used to make the work first possible at all, and secondly having good and solid and efficient setups, and finally leading to a product that we know will be within the tolerances on the print, all in a reasonably amount of time, while having confidence from the beginning that a good part or parts will result.

Reasonable amount of time that’s funny. :DI’ve had to pull the part and reconfigure because I couldn’t reach with the tool. The worst is finding out when your half way through a cut and find you have no more left to finish your depth and have to reconfigure or start over:rolleyes:

Reasonable amount of time that’s funny. :DI’ve had to pull the part and reconfigure because I couldn’t reach with the tool. The worst is finding out when your half way through a cut and find you have no more left to finish your depth and have to reconfigure or start over:rolleyes:
I was not saying I can DO any of this regularly, but rather that it is something to strive toward. Hobby machinists don't get enough experience on many or most of the skills and techniques we will need to do our varying and mostly one off jobs. Still, it is good to give it some thought, with hope of actually learning some of the planning and setup skills that professional machinists use daily. I have friends who are/were pros and they whiz through stuff that would keep me scratching my head for hours, if not days. I get stuff done, after a fashion, but would never make flat rate (piece work) pay in a commercial shop with my skill set.

Agreed Bob. I'd fire me.
I was watching one of Robin Renzetti's videos a few weeks ago. He is so fast and efficient and methodical in his approach. A true professional.

Back