Taking the CNC Plunge

That is strange, I would love to look at the output of the wall wart with a scope and see what it looks like.

I'm stumped too. Maybe the new USB hub power supply will be the cure.

Everything seems to be working OK now. The limit switches were driving me up the wall so I checked all my wire connections and they were good, or so I thought. Had continuity from the limit switches thru to the two wires that connect to the BoB. So rather than fight it I wired each switch individually to the BoB and now I can reset. Evidently the problem was in my wiring the switches in series.

Now that all these bugs have been worked out I was able to set my limits and run G-code. And wouldn't you know it I was about five minutes into running G-code and my laptop power supply died. Jeez will it ever end? Luckily I had a spare power supply so it's not slowing me down.

Next steps are cleaning up the wiring, building a riser for my monitor, and making an enclosure. I'm not using flood coolant but want to contain the chips.

Tom S

Everything seems to be working OK now. The limit switches were driving me up the wall so I checked all my wire connections and they were good, or so I thought. Had continuity from the limit switches thru to the two wires that connect to the BoB. So rather than fight it I wired each switch individually to the BoB and now I can reset. Evidently the problem was in my wiring the switches in series.

Now that all these bugs have been worked out I was able to set my limits and run G-code. And wouldn't you know it I was about five minutes into running G-code and my laptop power supply died. Jeez will it ever end? Luckily I had a spare power supply so it's not slowing me down.

Next steps are cleaning up the wiring, building a riser for my monitor, and making an enclosure. I'm not using flood coolant but want to contain the chips.

Tom S

Forgot to mention that the new USB hub cured the problems I was having with the SSR and the UC100 error messages. All is good.

Tom S

Wiring is finished and I was able to "play" with Mach 3 for a couple of hours today. What I noticed is the jog directions for the up/down and left/right keyboard buttons do not match the movement directions of the control buttons fly-out X and Y buttons. Z axis is no problem. Both sets of buttons move the axis in the same direction. I've gone into limit/home switches on the config menu and checked reverse. This works but it reverses the direction for the hot keys and the flyout keys. I also tried key emulation on the input pin screen but that didn't change anything. Looked through the Mach Support forum but couldn't find anything related to the situation I have. From a safety perspective I'd like to have continuity between the two jog options.

Thanks,

Tom S

Sounds like you need to set the hotkeys.

Sounds like you need to set the hotkeys.

Is setting the hot keys the same as emulation on the Input Signals screen? If it is I tried that and it had no effect on direction.

No, the hot keys are set under Config, System Hotkeys in the main menu bar.

Got it. I'll try this in the morning.

Thanks

Jim - made the changes and both the keyboard keys and flyout buttons are now in sync. Thanks. Next on the agenda is checking movement accuracy as I changed the kernel speed from 25k to 100k. Not sure what I'm going to see but I'm learning.

Happy to hear that worked. Now comes the real fun, calibrating and tuning the motors.:)

Back