Taking the compound off of the crosslide

Brento

Registered
Registered
Hi guys i am working on cleaning up the lathe before i use it. I am stuck on how to get the compound slide off of the crosslide. I have the screw out of the compound but i cant get past the nut to slide it off. Is there a way to do this that i dont know?

Edit: another question. Is it possible to take the Saddle off without removing the Apron? I would like to get underneath and give a good cleaning of the ways.

While cleaning the ways, don't forget all the chips that are hiding in the saddle/gear area. In other words, it might be a good idea to remove the saddle.

That was part of my edited question. My problem is can i take the saddle off without taking the apron off. I dont really want to mess with the apron right night. I will go through that in the future but just not at this moment

Yes, you can take the saddle off without removing the apron, just remove the screws on top of the saddle and the gib at the rear of the saddle, under the rear way.

To remove the compound slide from its base, you unscrew the screw bearing, unscrew the screw out of the nut, remove the gib and rock the slide off over the nut.

I got the compound slide off i couldnt get the top of it where your tool holder sits. The bronze or brass nut was in the way to slide it off. I did however get it to push out.

Back