Takisawa, Webb, and Yuasa TSL-800D versions... and sellers

kb58

Registered
Registered
So I've been half-way watching for a lathe that could draw me away from rebuilding my old Grizzly lathe. One brand I consistently hear good things about is the TSL-800D variants, and a Webb turned up locally, asking price $3000 OBO. It's very dirty and the brake doesn't work (and may even be missing), but the gears and ways look great. The reason that I'm writing is about everything else, or lack there of.

It's got a KDK tool post and adjustable 10" Buck lathe, and that's it; no tool holders, no change gears (other than what's in it), no collet setup, no extra faceplate, no steady rest or follow rest. The seller has no way to get it on a trailer, and a local machine mover quoted $700 to move it 3 miles ("if I'm in the area, $1000 if not"). On top of that, the seller is amazingly unmotivated, making me wonder why people bother to put up an ad when they don't even talk to the perspective buyer.

Checking online, $3000 is about average but they often come with more stuff (I'm ignoring those annoying unicorn posts of people finding ones in perfect shape for $400). I've read enough here to know that obtaining change gears can be a big expense, never mind the lack of the other items. When I asked about the price, the guy said "oh I don't do that, you have to talk to this other guy, who just left for the day." I guess I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't even have the change gears that it came with (the shop is the original owner). Maybe they'd drop the price because of it, but I also know that these things are fairly rare (as in: hard to find, not necessarily valuable), so maybe this is normal and I'm being unreasonable.

One thing I do want to ask about is the consequences of a ASA A1-5" spindle (Webb) versus a D1-6 (Yuasa) spindle. Does it make any difference operationally? I know the bore in the D-spindle is slighter bigger, but how about chuck availability? He mentioned that they were unable to get new jaws for the Buck chuck, which I found surprising - I'd hate to guess what a new 10" adjustable Buck chuck goes for.

Part of me is excited to see a real serious lathe for sale, one that I can afford, but being excited means I man not be thinking clearly, and not knowing what I don't know, never mind being a bit overwhelmed by the thought of trying to get the 2500-3000 lb thing home. I guess I'm not sure why I'm posting, and I do feel better, and yes, I know, "first world problems."

I think I would pass on it, seems overpriced for what you are getting- fix up your Grizzly and wait a while is my advice
Mark

Realize you will be trading one project for another and if you have the time/space/money see what you can do to get it. Machines that are incomplete are not that desirable no matter the make. Talk to the guy who has the authority to negotiate, tell him your concerns and offer him ~15% over scrap value as-is/where-is. Depending on where it is in his shop you may be able to get a tow truck operator to move it with a roll-back hauler.

Pictures or it didn't happen....

John

Nice heavy lathe.

Not sure what change gears that you are talking about. The switch from imperial to metric threading should be accomplished by swapping the position of two gears in the gear train. But maybe I'm missing something here.

The A1 spindle would not be my first choice, but back plates are readily available. I would rather have the D1 style, but that is just a personal preference, both work fine. As far as changing chucks, you wouldn't buy a direct mount chuck anyway, so the spindle nose type is of little consequence. I am surprised that jaws are not available for a Buck chuck, that seems a bit odd. I suspect they didn't look very hard.

The down side is lack of seller motivation, I have been through that also, it sucks. I really don't see any show stopper here.

If I really wanted to drag it home, I guess I would rent some machinery skates or a couple of pallet jacks, and a drop deck trailer. With some good planning and a couple of helpers it shouldn't be too big of a job. Just remember that lathes are very top heavy, did I mention careful planning.

Update:
Thanks to a very gracious member here, I was able to see his restored Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D. Best of all, he's owned maybe 10 lathes over the years, so he can authoritatively and objectively comments on a variety of lathe brands. In short, he thinks that the TSL lathe is terrific (the other brand he really likes is Graziano). Based upon his input, I made a low offer, we went back and forth, and pending moving fees (from a different mover this time!), it looks like I may become an owner of a very very dirty TSL-800D.

I'll be on the lookout for change gears. (FWIW, a number of other lathes I considered also didn't have change gears. Why it's so hard to store them?)

Last edited:
Looks like a nice machine:chunky:

This means I'll be on the lookout for change gears. (FWIW, a number of other lathes I considered also didn't have change gears. Why it's so hard to store them?)

Which change gears? For threading? That machine has a quick change gearbox for that.

I think many good people on this forum have purchased older dirty machines and found a gem or two. If I was going to sell Grandpa's old lathe, I would at least clean out the chip pan and give it a wipe down with some solvent or something.
To me, the really dirty lathes/mills represent an owner that did not take care of the machine. If you care about your investment, you clean and oil it before use.
On the other hand, some of the older machines with induction hardened ways and hardened and precision ground gears can take some abuse.
That's my $.02.

Which change gears? For threading? That machine has a quick change gearbox for that.
Are you sure? I talked to someone who has one, and see many posts from owners saying otherwise. What's your source of information?

Are you sure? I talked to someone who has one, and see many posts from owners saying otherwise. What's your source of information?

My source is the picture. I can see the quick change gearbox. I've never seen a modern gearhead lathe without a QC gearbox. The conversion from imperial to metric threading is normally done by swapping the position of 2 gears in the gear train, but it's possible that there is another separate gear set for metric that would need to be installed.

Back