talk about doing it all wrong....

great white

Active User
Registered
Do not watch if you haven't a stomach for accidents!

It's not gory nor is there any blood, but i was crunching up my face and waiting for it while the young guy was doing his thing:

[video=youtube;3EdQq5iAGYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdQq5iAGYs[/video]

Couple broken bones there I would say and he got off lucky if that was all.....loose clothes and machinery never ends well.

Another good reason to be extra careful when machining alone. If the other guys were not there he'd still be stuck in that lathe.

Another good reason to be extra careful when machining alone. If the other guys were not there he'd still be stuck in that lathe.

Good point.

Also why I plan to have a couple "kill buttons" for my home garage lathe. If anything ever happens (god forbid) I'm hedging my bets to ensure there is a kill switch accessible to an arm or leg somewhere.

I'm smart enough and have been around enough machinery to be safe as possible, but you never know when that split second of inattention (ie: dumb move you don't get away with) or that freak occurrence is gonna be just enough to bite you....

Frightening thing is he was obviously a newby just by the way he used the chuck key, those older guys (with their sleeves rolled up) then left him to carry on unsupervised.

Bernard

That was a terrifying thing to watch, I dread to think on the shock & injuries we are not seeing , that young worker is lucky to be alive, Over here in Scotland some years back a turner was not so lucky, In this case an experienced workman who was working a lathe which was hidden from and at a little distance from the other guys in the workplace, It was a nightshift , he was caught up with a shaft, He was torn limb from limb, and killed Nobody heard anything above the noise of the shop, or sadly saw anything until it was too late.

Guys "Care and Caution is Essential at All Times "-- Even with your little machines at home.

I am not going to post it... however at another forum saw some pics of a guy that got 'wrapped up' in a large swing lathe chuck... ground a significant part of his body into shreds.

One of the 'rules' I decided to make for my shop... since I will probably be working alone most of the time... is to ALWAYS have my cell phone in the belt case. That way, I can call 911 if I have to.

Makes you wonder how this stuff gets caught on video. Not saying its staged but really- does is compute that an eastern European looking dungeon of a shop like that would have cameras monitoring a manual engine lathe....????
Regardless, I know that is 100% not the point of the posting. All of us with more than two interconnected brain cells were cringing watching and waiting for the inevitable. Kid was lucky it was only maybe a 1" shaft that could bow and pop out of the center. If it was a 3" dia shaft... different video.

Back