Talk about home-made tooling

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Registered
I read on another site that this guy has an estimated $25,000.00 invested into the granite rails alone on this project but then another source states the owner has less then $10,000.00 in the complete lathe!

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
I read on another site that this guy has an estimated $25,000.00 invested into the granite rails alone on this project but then another source states the owner has less then $10,000.00 in the complete lathe!
I would think $25k for the granite would be way too much. I mean it is clearly more than granite countertops but if he is using off the shelf AA grade parallels he should be able to get them for about $1k each. You can be sure he knows some people who can hook him up with a deal.

Dabbler

Administrator
Staff member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The lathe was a very nice, but very expensive project. One of his grad stuidents took 2 years to write the control software for it. Think north of $100K CAD for an 8 X 24 lathe.

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Wonder why he didn’t mill the entire base out of one piece of precision granite instead of epoxy up multiple pieces?

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
Wonder why he didn’t mill the entire base out of one piecemeal of precision granite instead of epoxy up multiple pieces?
Likely because milling granite to those dimensions would require specialized tooling and result in no better accuracy than could be achieved with off the shelf pieces.

Dabbler

Administrator
Staff member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It is far more accurate to build it out of precision lapped peices. There isn't any glue line, by the way. He described the process somewhere, and each contact is granite-to granite, with glue reservoirs and held together with threaded inserts. Very clever, and very accurate.

aliva

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
When your a multi millionaire like Dan Gelbart money is no object.
Google his name quite the guy.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock