Talk me out of a used Harbor Freight knee mill

Seems to be a decent price. Push comes to shove you can always resell it if you decide to go larger down the line. Used stuff in good condition depreciates to a certain level than holds it's value. I bought a used 1979 Jet JVM-830 mill for $1200 in around 1987. I'd expect to get close to that 32 years later.

Bruce

If I'm not mistaken the head articulates on the Clausing whereas on the HF it doesnt. Also I'm pretty sure the leadscrews are something like 8 tpi on the HF machine

If you mean the Clausing nods (in / out) like a Bridgeport, no it doesn't. Just rotates left / right on the column and tilts side to side. It looks like the HF does the same.

According to the manual at HF it does have an 8 tpi lead screw. The Grizzly versions also seem to be 8 tpi. What is the significance of that other than moving the table a little faster?

I got a very similar Grizzly 6x26 and like it a great deal. for that price you can't go wrong! Work envelope isn't huge, but within it the mill is very capable. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of mine, fits perfectly in the limited space I have for it.

8 tpi means each turn of the handwheels moves the table by 0.125" which is a little less convenient than 10 tpi would be (0.10 per turn)
Non-issue if you have a DRO installed
Looks like the head does tilt but it requires loosening 4 bolts

Last edited:
One thing I would check carefully is the fit of the quill in the head, make sure it's snug and precise and not loose and wiggly
Not an easy thing to correct

You use it, learn some things and sell it to buy a better one when it comes along. Sounds like a deal.
I learned a bunch from my wore out Bridgeport. I have since then replaced it with a better, heavier, newer machine.

I believe there is a 6x26 version and an 8x30 version of those smaller knee mills. I believe the 6x26 version has it's own users group somewhere (all the Chinese 6x26's are pretty much identical). I have the 8x30 version and it is an actual knee mill and a much better machine than a mill/drill IMHO.

You have a picture of that 8X30? I'd like to see it if you don't mind.

I'm not sure how much trouble it would be since I didn't do it, but I would think you can remove the knee without too much trouble. That would probably knock off another 50-60lbs. It would certainly make the column a bit less awkward. Other than that everything else was a load of 100lbs or less, not too bad for one person, and should be no problem with two.

If you buy this one, I'll be very curious to know how it works out. I have limited height in my shop so this size mill was an ideal size for me and I spent some time trying to find out about these HF mills. I was not able to find any comments on them good or bad which surprises me because it is a really nice size to bridge the gap between the larger mill/drills and knee mills like Millrite or the ubiquitous Bridgeports.
Even if it was a complete piece of junk, you would think people would comment to say so.

Good luck
It doesn't look too tricky and will definitely be needed. When I pick it up I will definitely keep everyone posted.
I got a very similar Grizzly 6x26 and like it a great deal. for that price you can't go wrong! Work envelope isn't huge, but within it the mill is very capable. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of mine, fits perfectly in the limited space I have for it.
8 tpi means each turn of the handwheels moves the table by 0.125" which is a little less convenient than 10 tpi would be (0.10 per turn)
Non-issue if you have a DRO installed
Looks like the head does tilt but it requires loosening 4 bolts
A DRO would be a future thing but I can definitely see the advantages even over a 10 pitch lead screw.
Go grab it. Does that help.
:D
You sir, are a bad influence.

Back