Talk me out of this lathe -OR- don't (Grizzly 0602)

thepass

Registered
Registered
Hello! First post here. I work in the automotive aftermarket industry and dabble in fabrication - mostly sheet metal, welding and composites. I want to add machining capabilities to my "tool belt", have done a little bit here and there with other's machines but haven't had my own. Taking the plunge and just purchased a solid ACRA vertical mill and now shopping for a lathe.

I'm not doing production, just one-off stuff and prototypes. Lathe will probably only be ran a couple times a week. Mostly aluminum but I may need to turn some steel here and there.

I've had my eye on the Grizzly 10x22" lathe #G0602Z

The big question here is whether this is a good buy. There's only one review of it on their site and that guy seemed to modify his a bit. I've read the Grizzly forums here on H-M and most everyone seems to like them, but is there a better buy for this price bracket that solves something this needs? This ~$2,000 range is what I have a budget for. I'm sure I can get bigger better stronger for more money, but I can't justify more cost for the infrequency with which this will be used.

I suppose my only "concerns" are whether the 1HP motor is enough to turn a bit of steel now and then, and whether I can get decent accuracy with this lathe.

Hoping you guys can either ease my mind that this is a decent buy, or steer me another direction if there's something better to consider.

Thanks!

Personally I'm a fan of old American iron. I think you can find a larger, more versatile, better built used machine for machine for the same or less money. I have 2 lathes in the shop. The oldest is a Seneca Falls Star #20 from 1916. It has a 10" throw and a 60" bed. It uses a 1 hp motor and that's more than sufficient. The newer one is a 1960 Sheldon MW-56-P. It uses a 2 hp motor and has a 13" throw with a 56" bed.

While the throw of the Grizzly may be adequate, I believe you'll outgrow the 22" bed in short order. If you start using it on a regular basis You may also find the throw somewhat limiting. I had the Seneca Falls machine for 16 years before I finally broke down and bought the Sheldon. The Seneca Falls machine did fine for the first 10 years or so. There were things I couldn't do, but was too frugal (cheap) to buy a second machine. I finally decided it was time for a larger machine.

When the Sheldon came on the market I jumped on it. It's now become the go to machine for most work. It cost a bit more than the Grizzly you're looking at, but it was totally rebuilt, including grinding the bed and cross slide ways, and new bearings. It also included a number of accessories like 2- 3jaw chucks, a 4 jaw chuck, QCTP, several drill chucks, a 5C collet chuck, work light and several other goodies. In short It would have cost me more for a bare bones new machine, and I don't think it would be in the same league as far as quality and craftsmanship are concerned.

I'm sure there are others on this board that have considerably different opinions.

Sheldon MW-56-P

DSC00014A.jpg

Seneca Falls Star #20

DSC00018A.jpg

A lot will depend on what you are making, but 10x22 is a decent size for many projects without taking up a ton of room. The step up to a 12x36 is a much bigger step than the numbers would suggest, more power, larger spindle bore (usually 1-1/2" vs 1") and usually more features. Of course that comes with more space, cost, 240v power requirement etc.

Without going bigger you might also take a look at the Precision Matthews 10x22 and 10x30 lathe. These are similar in size but have a few more features like a power feed in the cross slide but do add about 25% to the cost.

Precision Matthews

I agree with Projectnut, vintage machines can be a great value. However they do require you have some knowledge of what you are looking at to avoid getting junk.

Personally for somebody who doesn't really know where they are headed I think the 9x19 and 10x22 lathes are a good place to start. Big enough to do some decent size projects, and fairly cheap so you aren't out too much if you decide to upgrade later to something bigger, better quality after learning what you really want. They are also small enough that they can make a nice second lathe if you have the room. Lots of people are quite satisfied with a lathe this size, and you might be one.

Lots of people looking for small lathes like this, so they are pretty easy to sell if you want / need something bigger / better in the future, but know machines lose about 1/2 their value as soon as you open the box, just how it is.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had certainly considered going with a used unit to try to get more for my money but it seems everything in Southern California Craigslists, at least while I've been looking, is either a super heavy duty $20,000 machine or anything in my kind of price range is a rusted and beat up thing that's been sitting outside, missing parts, etc. and as a newcomer to lathes I don't want to buy into a restoration project. The lack of second hand affordable units in the area may hint at the fact that most everyone who has one hangs onto it and likes it. That's promising.

Keying in to what Aaron_W said, as a beginner I want something that I can get up and running with. I have no doubt that 5-10 years from now I'll know exactly what I want in a more expensive and more capable machine, but it takes experience to get to that point. At the moment, all of the projects I can think of that I'd like to use this for are relatively small and a 10x22 is more than enough for them... but of course, we all know how Murphy likes to work; the moment I buy it some larger project will spring up! Those Precision Mathews lathes look very nice... and actually similar price comparing the 10x22 with variable speed and DRO between it and the Grizzly. Aaaand it's only an extra $100 to go from 22" up to 30".

Am I giving too much importance to a DRO on a lathe? For the vertical mill it was a "must have", and I figure that if I want to make things with accurate ODs and IDs I ought to have a DRO so I can easily dial that in. But it seems a far less common feature on lathes and perhaps most find it unnecessary?

Yea, be careful with the 'used iron' machines. Depending on where you look, there's a good chance that the old iron is worn more, less accurate than a new machine. But again, it depends on where you look.

The new PM stuff is pretty decent for it's price range. Even their Chinese stuff. And the good part is that if something breaks or isn't working properly, you have a warranty and people in customer service who will help.

And not everyone needs a 2 ton production lathe for home/hobby projects. After having gone through more than a few lathes and mills, I'd suggest you plan your machine size for what you want to do now, and then buy at least half again as much capacity as you think you need now. If you never need it, cool. But if you ever do need it, you're prepared.

I personally like DROs. Not because I don't know how to read a dial (I do), but a DRO is faster than counting turns (especially when I lose count...) and a good accurate DRO/scale combination is more accurate than dials as I have difficulty cutting a few tenths with dials, whereas I can do this easily with my DRO. But not everyone needs that level of accuracy. If you don't think you need it now, and change your mind down the road, you can always add it later.

Just my two cents Sir. :)

Welcome to HM!

There are some experienced G0602 guys here that should chime in. I am not one of them so take what I say with a grain of salt.

There are tons of threads here on buying a new lathe and I suggest you spend some time reading them. I just wanted to make the point that lathes can be modded to improve their function but, in general, they cannot be upgraded to be more than they already are. You cannot add a quick change gear box, a larger spindle or a camlock spindle if the lathe doesn't have it originally. It would be very wise to read threads here and make a list of all the features a good lathe should have before zeroing in on a particular make or model.

The other thing to consider is new vs old/used and Chinese vs Taiwanese. I vote for new Taiwanese and personally I would pay extra to have it to avoid wear and quality control issues.

Gotta' run but my best advice is to read the thread on new lathes here. Most of what can be said has already been said. Then make a list and ask questions to be sure you understand the relative importance of the different features a lathe can/should have. Then decide.

For a complete newbie like I was, I don't like the advice to buy a used old iron machine. We don't know how to evaluate a machine tool. If you know someone you trust to help with that evaluation, by all means, go that way. You can get a lot for your money if you know what to look for. If not, you might buy a really pretty, really worn out machine. When I bought the used Bridgeport a couple years of experience helped a lot to evaluate it. And even then, I got lucky that an older gentleman was downsizing and was honest about the condition. I also knew that BPs had a big enough market that parts are still available. Some of the older machines aren't so well supported.

I really like my PM1127. It's not perfect, no lathe in this price range would be, but it's a lot of machine for the money. I'm sure the 10x machines are also good, and almost ended up with one. The guys here convinced me to upsize a little and I think it was a good choice for me. A couple of things I didn't think would be a big difference... Power crossfeed, I use it every time I use the lathe, seriously. D1 Camlock chucks, makes swapping so much easier and faster. The Grizzly uses a threaded spindle, which is faster than the bolt-on style the PM 10x lathes use, but threaded chucks limit your ability to run in reverse, as the chuck could thread off under power. That would be... bad. I don't think that would be a dealbreaker, but it's nice for some operations. Variable speed is really nice, the Grizzly uses belt changes to change speed. I would hate that. I can go from about 100-700 RPM just by spinning the knob. That covers most of what I need as I usually use HSS tooling. I change to a higher range with a belt change, but rarely need to.

As for the DRO, I like mine. I just installed it after the fact. You can get nice DROs for about $200 and installing them isn't too bad. And as mikey said, read some of the older threads. There is a wealth of knowledge here about why you might want to consider certain features more than others.

I have owned the G0602 lathe for about six years. On all that time, I have never needed more than the 22" and only once had a part that pushed the 10" swing. The 1 hp motor is adequate for most work.

I have made a number of modifications and additions to my lathe. Beefed up 6 bolt compound, QCTP, lead screw reversing for left hand threading, carriage stop, spindle work stop, DRO for x, z and tailstock, and an electronic lead screw among others. However, the 602 will perform reasonably out of the crate. I don't regret having bought it.

.... The Grizzly uses a threaded spindle, which is faster than the bolt-on style the PM 10x lathes use, but threaded chucks limit your ability to run in reverse, as the chuck could thread off under power. .....
The Grizzly G0602 has two locking dogs which prevent the chuck from unthreading when running in reverse.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had certainly considered going with a used unit to try to get more for my money but it seems everything in Southern California Craigslists, at least while I've been looking, is either a super heavy duty $20,000 machine or anything in my kind of price range is a rusted and beat up thing that's been sitting outside, missing parts, etc. and as a newcomer to lathes I don't want to buy into a restoration project. The lack of second hand affordable units in the area may hint at the fact that most everyone who has one hangs onto it and likes it. That's promising.

Am I giving too much importance to a DRO on a lathe? For the vertical mill it was a "must have", and I figure that if I want to make things with accurate ODs and IDs I ought to have a DRO so I can easily dial that in. But it seems a far less common feature on lathes and perhaps most find it unnecessary?

Used machines are funny, you will watch and see overpriced project machines and way overpriced "restorations' (usually just a new coat of paint) or "museum pieces" and think you can't find a decent used machine anymore. I've found the real trick is you have to be persistent checking CL several times a day, and when you see what looks like a deal jump on it quick because they won't hang around long if they are really a deal. Of course there has to be machinery out there which isn't the case everywhere.

The thing with vintage USA machines is they are old, most manufacturers making machine the average home shop person wants quit making machines here by the mid 80s so they are at a minimum of 35 years old, and many are 50+. A lot of these machines are plain worn out / neglected / abused, however when you do find a good one they were built to last several lifetimes and when you are gone, someone else will start using it. Assuming Star Trek Replicators are not in every household by then. :grin:

I started with a (new) mini-lathe and mill, I didn't have much room and anyway I was sure that was all I'd ever need because I just wanted to make tiny stuff. Famous last words, I didn't know how addictive machining was, I just saw it as a means to an end (making stuff) and now fixing up machines, making tooling for them etc is as much of a hobby as the modeling that got me into this mess. I now have a variety of larger machines and some machines that I didn't even know existed when I was starting out. I also got pretty good at making space for it where none existed. I still use those little machines for the jobs I got them for, the bigger machines do the bigger stuff I discovered I like doing (mostly making stuff for the machines it seems, I'm not really sure who is in charge anymore :rolleyes: ).

New machines are a safe bet, even the Chinese machines are a pretty good value for what most hobbyists and light industry needs. There is better quality stuff for those who need it / can afford it. The vintage stuff can be a great value, often built to a standard well beyond our simple needs and it has more character (in my opinion), but also some liabilities. Wear, parts availability, manuals and tech support being the big ones. The machine may be perfect but operators aren't and at some point you may break something. The machine doesn't even need to be that old, I've seen posts where people are having trouble getting parts for a machine they bought new 10 or 15 years ago. Some of the old companies still offer decent support for their ancient machines (Logan and Clausing / Atlas / Kalamazoo), some are long demised.

I'm also bit of a contradiction, I feel pretty strongly that new is a better choice for beginners. That was the plan I intended to follow but I've ended up with a shop full of vintage machines. That happened largely through a great enabler err support network who helped me find my first old machines and gave me guidance and the confidence to evaluate them on my own. This place has many great members who will happily spend your money, but they are also pretty good about helping you spend it wisely. Most of the machines in my shop are older than I am. I also recognize I got here through a little luck and a lot of help. Those who are to blame know who they are.

I will also add, once you have something, even if it isn't your dream machine it gets a lot easier to sit back a watch for a deal on your perfect machine.

I just wanted to make the point that lathes can be modded to improve their function but, in general, they cannot be upgraded to be more than they already are. You cannot add a quick change gear box, a larger spindle or a camlock spindle if the lathe doesn't have it originally.

Agree with Mikey on this, usually when you see people modding their machines it is to address a design shortcoming or damage. The 9x19 and 10x22 lathes have a pretty active user group with loads of mods. Most will readily admit they have so many mods because the machines fall a little short of perfection. You see a lot less of this with the bigger machines, they cost more upfront and know their users will be less tolerant of cut corners. If you spend $2000 on a new lather you can not expect the same quality as one that costs $8000. As much love as the vintage stuff gets, you see owners doing a lot of work to bring an old machine back up to spec. You do occasionally see somebody putting on a different spindle, or adding a gear box but that is usually because it was an option for that lathe and just didn't come on that particular machine. It would be quite a job to do something like that from scratch.

The Grizzly uses a threaded spindle, which is faster than the bolt-on style the PM 10x lathes use, but threaded chucks limit your ability to run in reverse, as the chuck could thread off under power. That would be... bad. I don't think that would be a dealbreaker, but it's nice for some operations.

Not sure about the G0602, but the G4000 9x19 actually has a simple locking collar to prevent the chuck from backing off. Just a piece of angle stock with a screw but it works. I had quite a time trying to get the chuck off my Enco before I noticed that little screw... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back