Talk To Me About 3 Jaw Set Tru Chucks

IamNotImportant

Registered
Registered
I know about the one from PM, but is it any good, or should i be looking at another brand?

I've only used Pratt-Burnerd and Bison, but having a set-tru feature is very nice. They can have some quirks on different spots of the scroll, but having adjustment vs not having it is a plus, and you can set it to favor a particular size of work piece where everything is consistent compared to getting what you get with any old chuck. I can't really say what difference the manufacturer would make in the scheme of things. I suppose branding matters when it comes to the rest of the chuck, that's something we can all relate to. A centering mechanism isn't rocket science, but it's nice to have and something I look for in a chuck.

I've only used Pratt-Burnerd and Bison, but having a set-tru feature is very nice. They can have some quirks on different spots of the scroll, but having adjustment vs not having it is a plus, and you can set it to favor a particular size of work piece where everything is consistent compared to getting what you get with any old chuck. I can't really say what difference the manufacturer would make in the scheme of things. I suppose branding matters when it comes to the rest of the chuck, that's something we can all relate to. A centering mechanism isn't rocket science, but it's nice to have and something I look for in a chuck.
nicely said, thank you sir

I picked up a 9" Buck set-tru off ebay a while back... it looked bad, but I took a chance at $300...

20220104_152330.jpg

After cleanup, it turned out to be a very nice chuck... and is in excellent condition mechanically...

20220205_103232.jpg

It lives on my 14" Hendey tie-bar.

-Bear

Smooth as can be, 4000 rpm rated and very balanced. So much nicer than the Chinese direct mount it replaced. I didn’t even feel the need to open it up and clean it out!

Back