Talk To Me About 3 Jaw Set Tru Chucks

If looking at 8" there is a NOS Buck on ebay for a good price. Looks to be a newer buck which is made in Taiwan. They aren't as loved as the old USA Buck but probably on par or better than the PM. There are also some decent deals on 6". The tough part is finding a deal on a backplate but they do show up. Dave

If looking at 8" there is a NOS Buck on ebay for a good price. Looks to be a newer buck which is made in Taiwan. They aren't as loved as the old USA Buck but probably on par or better than the PM. There are also some decent deals on 6". The tough part is finding a deal on a backplate but they do show up. Dave
6" or there abouts

This is what i am looking at this seems to be the best prices i have found, if you know of a better price, please let me know thanks.

TMX
3J 6" for 899.00
6J 6" for 1275.00
BP is 385.00

Bison
3J 6" for 995.00
6J 6" for 1544.00
BP is 424.00

Gator
3J 6" with BP for 895.00
6J 6" with BP for 1195.00

Are you looking only at set tru ? They are my preference although a flat back that mounts with bolts in the front can be a reasonable option. You can find the location with the least runout, remove the chuck and leave the backplate and very slightly touch the boss on the plate and reattach the chuck, tapping it into position and then tightening the bolts. Not easy when the bolts attach from the backplate but not bad when front mounted. there is a Bison for 477 on the bay and a non set tru plate is much cheaper than a set tru. Also a 6" Buck adj tru for 600 or best offer plus the plate.

I have a Bison six jaw but only because I got it for cheap and found a deal on a backplate, all NOS. Pretty rare though now until the economy gets worse. Fewer deals out there in good times or during inflation. Dave

This is what I would recommend, seems like Grizzly is liquidating a lot of their chucks at very good discounts. I bought my 6" PBA chuck form them years ago, it is an excellent chuck which is usually quite expensive. PBA now makes a cheaper line of chucks "Atlas" which are made in China, not the same quality as the original line. I do not recommend a 6J unless you plan to do thinwall work, and would not use it as a primary chuck.
PBA 6 inch Setrite.jpg

That PB looks to be a good deal. I'm surprised Grizzly says it is made in the UK as I thought PB America sourced elsewhere, not China but maybe Taiwan. The old PB was equal to Bison but I don't believe that is the case now. Still, not a bad deal. Dave

I went the cheap route and bought an 8" set-tru from CME tools out of Madison Heights, MI. Backing plate for my D1-5 spindle came from CDCOtools.com for $80. The thread of my build is below. I've had no issues with the chuck. My build thread is below.

Bruce

This is what I would recommend, seems like Grizzly is liquidating a lot of their chucks at very good discounts. I bought my 6" PBA chuck form them years ago, it is an excellent chuck which is usually quite expensive. PBA now makes a cheaper line of chucks "Atlas" which are made in China, not the same quality as the original line. I do not recommend a 6J unless you plan to do thinwall work, and would not use it as a primary chuck.
View attachment 427645
thanks for that suggestion, that is viable believe that i may proceed with that one. I wondered about the 6J and wasn't sure, but you solidified my thought process with your statement.. just wasn't absolutely sure about that one.

As to the 4 Jaw that is on the machine, i had put an old part i made from the PM lathe i had in the chuck and got it zero'd dead nuts, yesterday, to verify the studs on the chuck, i removed the chuck with the part still in the jaws. When i put it back on the lathe, put the indicator back on the part, it was still dead nuts zero, no change.. this is good cuz, my plan is to put a ER 40 collet square block in the 4 jaw and leave it there..It will be for second op's on certain parts. I will prob get another 4 jaw down the road sometime, but for now, a good three jaw tru set chuck will do most everything i need to do

Back