Talk To Me About 3 Jaw Set Tru Chucks

I initially tried the 4J with an ER40 collet block, but it was cumbersome and had more skew holding parts. There is also the issue if you do any close hand work near the the collet. Both Shar's and PM/QMT offers set-true type ER40 chucks with a D1-4 back plate for around $200, much safer option and saves 4-5" of additional stick out vs. holding with a 4J. You also do not have the RPM speed limitations of a 4J.

I initially tried the 4J with an ER40 collet block, but it was cumbersome and had more skew holding parts. There is also the issue if you do any close hand work near the the collet. Both Shar's and PM/QMT offers set-true type ER40 chucks with a D1-4 back plate for around $200, much safer option and saves 4-5" of additional stick out vs. holding with a 4J. You also do not have the RPM speed limitations of a 4J.
i have an offset that will need to be drilled, i guess it will have to be done on the mill instead if it is that unsteady

I have a spare 6" Buck I'm willing to part with. It's had a life, some damage at #3 slot, but still functions well. No back plate or chuck key. PM me if you're interested.

View attachment 427701View attachment 427702View attachment 427703View attachment 427704View attachment 427705View attachment 427706View attachment 427707
from my research, it is said that the PBA Setrite Chuck is supposed to be a "direct" replacement to the old Buck "Adjust Tru" early design.

Back