Tangential Tool Holder

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
Just thought I'd show this off, a tangential tool holder for my Craftsman 109.20630. Still needs some tweaking and have to remove some off the bottom to lower it to provide more clearance for larger work. Lathe running in backgear on mild steel using Kerosene as a cutting fluid.

[video=youtube;qDoYFBykwEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoYFBykwEs[/video]

photo 1 (14).JPG

Just got some HF 1/8" letter# stamps, already have the 1/4" stamps but the 1/8" stamps are a lot nicer and stamp better. Had to try them out, my initials.

photo 2 (14).JPG

Thanks for looking!

photo 1 (14).JPG photo 2 (14).JPG

Very nice, Andre. I haven't tried a round bit yet. I might just have to make one.

Thanks!

Having some chatter problems with high surface speeds, will have to figure that out. Might make a good roughing tool though.

Trouble with high speeds? What is the surface speed these are being cut with in the video?

Lovely holder, looks like you did a good job. The chatter is most likely the huge nose radius and small lathe. The bigger the nose radius, the greater the HP and rigidity needed for it to cut without chatter. Grind the cutting to into a 80 to 85 degree V and try again. All the tangential tool bits I've seen have been V shaped. Let us know how you get on.

BTW if you need any HSS bits let me know, I have plenty to spare

Trouble with high speeds? What is the surface speed these are being cut with in the video?

Lathe is in backgear, maybe 200 RPM. Piece started out 1/4" in diameter so.... about 13 FPM.
I get chatter at normal lathe speed, around 1000 rpm on this machine. I have to play around with rake angles on the tool. Have not used it much.

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely holder, looks like you did a good job. The chatter is most likely the huge nose radius and small lathe. The bigger the nose radius, the greater the HP and rigidity needed for it to cut without chatter. Grind the cutting to into a 80 to 85 degree V and try again. All the tangential tool bits I've seen have been V shaped. Let us know how you get on.

BTW if you need any HSS bits let me know, I have plenty to spare

Thank you!
I was thinking it was because of the nose radius and rake angle. I don't know if you could see but the chip was a good 1/8" wide.
Thanks for the offer! I have a lot of HSS scrap, thanks to learning how to mill :)) I think I used a broken center drill as a cutter.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work Andre......:))

Thanks Don!

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this do that a normal tool holder doesn't? It clearly does cut very nicely. Is it the rake angle of the cutting edge? It seems similar to what a rocker toolpost with its holders would produce, which does seem more optimal than what can be achieved with a QCTP.

Back