Tangential Tool Holder

I think I get it. Looks like a simple way to get the cutting surface angled nicely, like the old armstrong toolholders do, though clearly more rigid than the armstrong setup.

Thanks for the link!

You only have to grind the angle on the end of your cutter. I ought to make myself a square tool holder like that. A disadvantage is you have no chip breaker,and will get long,continuous rolls of chips.

Actually,I think someone sells a tangental tool holder that Randy Khoupt (sp?) might have designed. Little Machine Shop ?

I ground the round bit into a 50 degree V shape then reduced the back rake a little. I just took a .035" on the dia cut in steel with my little craftsman 109. That's a large cut on a 109 even for aluminum, and this is steel. I will never go back to a normal square toolbit again.

And George, yes it produced a long stringy chip. Just a plus in my opinion, less cleanup and flying chips. I have to worry about chip cleanup because we have a cat and I don't want chips on the floor for him to cut his paws on. These chips are maybe 4" long then break and fall onto my lap (sitting down) or under the bed of the lathe.

Nice work! Now I have something to do next weekend.

These tangential tool holders are great for everybody but the lathe newbies will love them. They are easy to sharpen, give a great cut and finish, and any sized machine can use them. If you bought the Bay-Com/Eccentric Engineering tools then it comes with a sharpening jig. Inset the tool bit into the jig, then using your bench grinder just lay the jig on the tool rest and go back and forth a few times across the wheel face and you're done. I was having a hard time deciding for my first lathe tooling whether to get the tangential holder or go with Warner's tool holders with HSS inserts. I'm glad I went with the tangential because there's a lot you can do with one tool holder and the 1/4" HSS bits can be found anywhere, are inexpensive, easy to resharpen, and should last a good while. Here's a nice little video on them.

Pardon my late jump in here, but what plans were used to make these? I have a little, wimpy Edelstaal Machinex5 lathe that could benefit from a tool like this. I have the A2ZCNC QCTP, so I would like to make a holder for it.

Pardon my late jump in here, but what plans were used to make these? I have a little, wimpy Edelstaal Machinex5 lathe that could benefit from a tool like this. I have the A2ZCNC QCTP, so I would like to make a holder for it.

No plans were used, just thought it up and basically made it as I went. The hardest part was the little clamp, and cutting that groove. I made it with a file, using the bluing technique used in scraping to see where I needed to file to fit the HSS bit.

The angled hole was drilled using an air hand drill, not perfect by any means (In fact, it's not even close to the angle it should be, but it works)

If you build one, please post it! (and if you need any other pics of mine, like with the clamp removed, feel free to ask)

I hope to get around to one soon. I am awaiting the construction and delivery of a new 7x12 lathe, so hopefully I will have a little time. I read the post on gadgetbuilder.com about the tangential holder and he talked about how he did the angles. I thought about it a bit and realized I could probably do the angles, including the slot, using my table saw pretty easily. Use a file to finish up. This would be in aluminum of course. I am going to make a test one out of a block of wood to verify the procedure first, but hopefully it will be really quick and easy, the hardest part being machining the dovetail for my QCTP.

Back