Tangential Tool Holder

So after a while of watching and reading I still have one question. I guess someone here is able to answer me.
Why is the tangential tool holder better, than any other cutting tool on a lathe? Is it stiffer or able to cut more in one pass?

Resharpening is very easy

That's true, but I'm finding there is another benefit: Ridgity, especially FarFar's design. I like direct mounting so much I'm switching tooling. Here is a so-so shot of my boring bar holder.
IMG_4391_zps69ca2031.jpg

And a Barnyard Engineering cutoff tool holder. I'm going to make a holder to duplicate this lashup. It is very effective. The new holder will holder the parting tool directly.
IMG_4417_zps96d2ce88.jpg

IMG_4391_zps69ca2031.jpg

IMG_4417_zps96d2ce88.jpg

IMG_4391_zps69ca2031.jpg

IMG_4417_zps96d2ce88.jpg

Last edited:
FarFar, Thanks for sharing your research on TTH. I think these are probably the most effiecent and economical lathe cutting tools for a HSM.
Regarding the square hole for holding the colbalt, I think you could cut it easily with a rotary broach on your lathe. This thread has an excellent description of the process and home-made tooling: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/14582-Rotary-Broach-Holder. It would be far cheaper than electrical discharge machining and would not stress the metal like the press process you are currently using.

FarFar, Thanks for sharing your research on TTH. I think these are probably the most effiecent and economical lathe cutting tools for a HSM.
Regarding the square hole for holding the colbalt, I think you could cut it easily with a rotary broach on your lathe. This thread has an excellent description of the process and home-made tooling: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/14582-Rotary-Broach-Holder. It would be far cheaper than electrical discharge machining and would not stress the metal like the press process you are currently using.

Very interesting process that rotary broaching, but I need a hole square 25 mm deep and 5 mm square.Is it possible?

Very interesting process that rotary broaching, but I need a hole square 25 mm deep and 5 mm square.Is it possible?
Yes, it is used for making internal toothed gears like a ring gear.

Hello Bill and Mike H

My next pressed toolholder will be made of 16mncr5 because I have a suitable piece and like the material.
It is a casehardening steel,but is awfully strong and tough in the annealed state .
Process will be as illustrated.The two I have made already was pressed with 14 tons and needed repeated anglegrinds.
This new way will hopefully need only 5-8 tons and no regrinding.
The milling of clearance and general beautymaking is the same of course

Kind regards

Niels

step 1.jpg step 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back