Tap and Die set

This is true. But you should be able to find a cheaper set if carbon steel is okay for him. Or just buy what you need at your local hardware store.

Personally I would buy what I need right now at your local hardware store. Watch your local Buy and Sell. There are always taps and dies for sale. I bought a bucket full . Easily 200 taps and dies for $60.00 . Most brand new unused Butterfield.
Mind you, where I live as we have a plethora of used industrial tools for sale constantly.
Cheers
Martin

OK thanks for the advice. Are there any brands to specifically look out for, I don't want to buy a crappy set.

Almost the worst garage sale tap marked HSS will be better than those department store carbon steel taps. I bought some lousy ones at Lowe's and complained to the manufacturer. They sent me a new set, which I promptly gave away. One of the taps tapped large, and some screws wouldn't engage.

Internet wisdom says that the cheap carbon steel taps shatter when you hit them with a punch, so they can be removed easily when you break the tap in a hole. This is NOT true. I suspect that this factoid came from the observation that vintage fine gunsmithing carbon steel taps can be shattered with a punch. The cheap ones definitely cannot and will cost a carbide endmill to remove.

Buy taps one at a time from an industrial supply store. The guy who goofed up the hole ended up going to Fastenal. One tap cost almost half the price of the big box set. Furthermore, it was made in China. Didn't matter. It was name brand, HSS, and fine quality. The Lowe's taps were made in the US. If you looked at them side by side, you could see the difference in quality. Scary.

I have a couple of sets very like yours. They seem similar - except for the price! Mine cost nothing like that. For what I was doing at the time, they did not have to be great. Of course, most of the sizes never got used.
I agree with the folk here. Buy what you need at the time you need it. Make it quality. Let your collection build up over time.

The thing is I am not sure what is good quality, I think what I'll do is look for a HSS set thats not to much. Then at swapmeets/online/gumtree buy them one buy one

If you look very closely at cheap and quality taps, the difference I can see is at the cutting edge. Good taps and dies have obvious sharp well formed edges. The cheap ones look terrible.

Back