Tap and Die Storage and Organization - What Do You Do With Yours?

How do you sort them?

• Total voters
Is it possible to buy the plastic containers taps come in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my current method of storage. Please don’t kick me out because they aren’t protected from each other :(
1cf28a5ee973992a0c33707d704c5ae3.jpg

@francist
Yes those are exactly what I mean! :)

Is it possible to buy the plastic containers taps come in?

I buy the telescoping tubes like francist posted from Mcmaster. I don't use em for taps but I do use them for various tooling. I searched for a while & could only find a good selection of them from Mcmaster. All the other places I found were the manufacturers or distributors where you have to purchase them in large quanities for each size.

On the same page below I also buy the cut to length tubes that use end caps. But I don't buy the end caps they sell for them, I'm cheap & just use regular vinyl caps. I use those for my end mills that didn't come in their own containers.

But I know you are in Canada & Mcmaster doesn't ship internationally. I hear there is some sort of way for Canada though & I've seen that AvE gets orders from Mcmaster.

I'm not laughing at you though, I have a very small collection of taps. You'd laugh if you saw how I store them & how very little I have. You probably have more than me in just that one pic. :)

https://www.mcmaster.com/shipping-tubes

20200504_161744.jpg 20161212_194033.jpg

The small clear ones with the rubbery caps are available here through ULINE — price is about a dollar a piece for 1/2” x 4” with two end caps. Not exactly cheap for storage tubes.

-frank

The small clear ones with the rubbery caps are available here through ULINE — price is about a dollar a piece for 1/2” x 4” with two end caps. Not exactly cheap for storage tubes.

-frank

Oh wow! Is that 4" length for a dollar or 4' (feet)? If 4" that is expensive. 4 feet of 1/2" is $1.61 from Mcmaster & doesn't include the caps so if ULINE is actually 4'/48" with caps that's pretty cheap.

Oh BTW, they say you can just cut the tubes with scissors & you can but I use this cheap mini HF chop saw. It works perfect for cutting them & does a very nice job. Funny I've had this saw for years & never used it on anything until I started using those tubes.

62136_I.jpg

Haha, I wish! Yes that’s 4 inches. The tube is 65 cents and the caps are 25 cents a piece, based on quantities of 25. Price goes down a bit with volume, but not crazy lots.

Back