Tap difference questions

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
I like my new M42 drill set. What a difference from the cheap set.

Now I am looking at taps. My guess is the good stuff is way better than the cheap one I have been trying to use.

But I have no idea how to tell what makes one tap set better, or different, from another. For example, consider the following three tap sets, all from the same manufacturer, USA, HSS:

https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Cutti...516026083&sr=8-2&keywords=Kodiak+tap+set+5/16 For $34

https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Cutti...516026484&sr=8-1&keywords=Kodiak+tap+set+5/16 For $24

https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Cutti...516026484&sr=8-4&keywords=Kodiak+tap+set+5/16. For $6

What makes them different? What can I expect each to do well or adequately or not at all?

And, as everyone here knows, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of taps at each size available to chose from. However does one make a good choice?

Thanks.

-Bill

A good quality tap is ground. If you stick with higher quality names like Guhring and Emuge, you can't go wrong.
Msc has them in various flavors, and they run sales all the time. The Guhring taps can be purchased for $12-$30, will stay sharp for a long time and don't break easily. I know, a little pricey, but they will last a long time.

Emuge is more expensive. McMaster has a decent line up, mostly Widia taps, which are ground. I would stay away from carbon steel taps
for most metal work. They rust and don't stay sharp for very long. I would buy quality taps as I need them. Ebay has good deals.
I'm not familiar with Kodiak. It may be a decent tap, but make sure they are ground HSS.

The first tap is TiN coated which is more expensive. The last tap is a different thread size. It may be one that they have in surplus and they are trying to clear out, hence an attractive discount.

My two cents, pick a top brand and stay with them. I buy only OSG taps.

Yep, they cost a bit more. You just need to beak a cheap tap off in an important job once to understand the value.

If you're starting out I would get spiral flute (not spiral point) taps in the sizes you need right now. I got a couple from McMaster Carr with my last order to fill in some gaps and they're pretty reasonable, about $10 each. Spiral flute will do through and blind holes, whereas spiral point taps are best for through holes. Personally I see no point in getting those straight flute taps like the ones you linked, as they require the old "turn, back off, turn, back off, turn, remove to clear flutes/ hole, turn, back off" trick to stop the flutes getting clogged and snapping the tap. Spiral flute (or point for a through hole) is just "turn, done, remove".

I'm not saying that you can't tap a hole with straight flute taps and if those are what you have, that's fine, but once you've used a decent spiral flute or point tap the difference is eye opening. If you're starting from scratch, get the modern tech, it doesn't cost any more!

The question which tap to use is entirely dependent on the work and the useful lifespan of the tool in use.
Spiral point spiral flute taps are excellent for blind holes as they spit the chip out of the hole much like a twist drill, if a through hole a spiral point will push the chip ahead.

Recently drilled and machine tapped 250 parts M6-1 X 12 MM deep in 304 SS, could only find an OSG spiral point tap to use so I drilled a good deal deeper then required in order to give room for the chips, cleaning the chips out of the bottom of the hole was a chore.

One tap did 250 parts without problem and is still fine, if my employer had gone to Home Depot and bought 10 consumer taps I would still be doing that job a week later. Choose wisely.

Last edited:
I bought
https://www.amazon.com/YG-1-Vanadiu...e=UTF8&qid=1516583947&sr=1-9&keywords=yg1+tap

For $6. Seemed way inexpensive given other 5/16 taps I found go for up to like $80. It is FABULOUS. A complete day and night difference from my cheap tap set. Have only done a handful of holes in steel and cast. But it works comfortably. No sense I am on the edge of snapping it off. Will get more of the brand/style.

Thank you all for turning me on to this.

-Bill

Back