Tap Organizer/Dispensers

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I am looking to better organize my inventory of taps. I currently have in the neighborhood of 500 or more tape ranging in size from 0-80 to 2"-8. They currently occupy several drawers in a roll around printers cabinet. I would like to move and better organize them into something like the Huot 13500 and 13550 cabinets. They seem interesting, but are somewhat rudimentary in that they don't have separate dividers for plug, taper, and bottoming versions of each tap. In addition their capacity seems somewhat limited for each size. I am looking to store approximately a dozen or so of each of the less common taps, and 36 to 40 of the more common fractional taps. The larger volume taps include 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16, and 1/2-13. In addition I have a fairly large number of left hand taps, and Special Thread Insert (STI) taps

I am not averse to spending the money necessary for a quality storage and dispensing system, but would like to keep it within reason.

The Printer's Cabinet sounds pretty neat in it's own right.
With the quantities noted, probably a Vidmar style cabinet would work best.

Or a flat file. You’d have to of course make dividers, but that’s no big deal. Right now there are literally tons of flat file cabs in LA and SF but they want around $300 on up. Since everybody going digital in engineering departments there is little call for them. I didn’t get on to them until there was one local for $125 and by the time I got a clue it was gone. The problem might be that they are so deep in Y axis to be able to store blueprints. But if you really want everything laid out in front of you that would be the ticket. I’m still looking for one to use for all my metrology tools. There was also a model that wasn’t deep in the Y but those are even more rare.

Last edited:
I use metal framed/ plastic drawer organisers to store my bolts/ nuts/ taps. I have one for imperial and one for metric. Makes it easy to keep things organised and find stuff quickly.
IMG_9357.JPG
IMG_9358.JPG

depending on pitch I have at least one each of spiral point, spiral flute and form tap. Some I have extras, but I tend not to break them or wear them out, so I don't see the need for more than that.

Or a flat file. You’d have to of course make dividers, but that’s no big deal. Right now there are literally tons of flat file cabs in LA and SF but they want around $300 on up. Since everybody going digital in engineering departments there is little call for them. I didn’t get on to them until there was one local for $125 and by the time I got a clue it was gone. The problem might be that they are so deep in Y axis to be able to store blueprints. But if you really want everything laid out in front of you that would be the ticket. I’m still looking for one to use for all my metrology tools. There was also a model that wasn’t deep in the Y but those are even more rare.
I have a blueprint file and it's definitely deep, maybe a little too much so. The only thing I would worry about is how heavy the drawers would get if you loaded them completely up, I use mine for measuring tools and such.

The Vidmar style cabinets are probably what you want. I have one (Equipto) and it handles anything you can put into it. Probably just comes down to budget though, there's nothing "reasonable" about the cost of these things new....

John

Thanks everyone for your input. After considering all the alternatives presented, and a fair amount of research I bit the bullet yesterday afternoon and ordered some Huot tap organizer/dispensers. I ended up with 2 of their 13500 cabinets for fractional taps,

and 1 of their 13550 cabinets for machine screw sizes.

I liked the idea of the print cabinets (I actually have one for prints) but unfortunately there isn't enough floor space to accommodate another large cabinet. There were several for sale on our local Craigslist with reasonable asking prices, but the foot print of most were a whopping 36"x48".

With the new Huot cabinets I should be able to move the majority of the taps from the printers cabinet. I say the majority because about the only cabinets made to store/dispense all the sizes and (0-80 thru 2"-8) and the most common styles (Spiral point, spiral flute, taper, bottoming, and STI (special thread insert) run in the neighborhood of $6,700.00 and are the size of a standard Vidmar.

Once the taps are organized hopefully I can also do a better job of organizing the drills. There are easily twice the number of drills in the cabinet as there are/were taps. Like the taps there are many different types and styles ranging in size from #80 to 1". There are also the metrics and letters as well as a few hundred specialty aircraft style.

Like most efforts at reorganizing this one has gotten out of control. Hopefully the time and money spent will streamline work flow. That would be a good thing in that my wife does occasionally mention there's a lot of time, effort, and money going into the shop, but for some reason there are minimal results coming out the other end.

Last edited:
It’s always tough to organize because it’s not always about just dumping a bunch of stuff. We all do different work and approach jobs differently so feeling like I’m organized enough to feel like I know where everything thing is a challenge.

I‘m sure my solution is not anybody else’s solution. All to often the solution I see in my head is not made commercially and like the flat file there are things that are close but no cigar. I also suffer from seeing a cool little solution somewhere in my virtual travels but can’t remember the details. That’s the most frustrating.

I have gone the route with drills and taps of buying sets in cases and resisted the buying of single “just as needed” and now all are in one drawer in the cabinet built into my drill press stand. I’m the most organized I’ve been since embarking on doing machining as far as drills. Getting my mig, plasma, and OA along with a cabinet for everything on one cart was a big undertaking too but also worth it. Because I’m building from scratch there’s no actual shop output but when we do taxes at the end of the year there is proof that my efforts pay off as overall output keeps going up. Being organized and working smart is easier and less frustrating, far less time consuming. Means I get in the flow and get er done instead of digging through drawers.

I’d be interested to know if the organizers work out for you.

Funny how this morning there was several of those hardware flats that the hardware stores use but now their gone. Probably too short for taps and drills. There‘s also been several CL ads where they are parting out storage units like what you’d find in a van. They finally got down to a reasonable price now their gone. These searches are always hard because sometimes they come up “storage”, or toolbox or metal drawers. These popped up for $25 to $50. The big one with all the bins was $100. All in the SF area so out of my range, but interesting. I’m still on the lookout for plastic separating things that were an add on to some thread but I don’t know what they were called. Seems like they were something in Bed Bath and Beyond for dividing drawers. Those would be good for drills and taps, if I can find them again.

Attachments

• 56AD92BA-6341-4BF9-9147-30747E55F37C.jpeg
    56AD92BA-6341-4BF9-9147-30747E55F37C.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 458F16E4-D285-4E02-8B34-0982F3C8EE31.jpeg
    458F16E4-D285-4E02-8B34-0982F3C8EE31.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 16B5F2CF-BC90-429D-8C6D-6250A61B6C77.jpeg
    16B5F2CF-BC90-429D-8C6D-6250A61B6C77.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 544EC7BA-757E-417F-B3A9-1CB96C066171.jpeg
    544EC7BA-757E-417F-B3A9-1CB96C066171.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 21
I went to an auction and bought a couple of these card catalogs from a school. Then went to the Schaller Corp and got some little plastic boxes to divide my stuff up. I’m still setting it up but think it will work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

805732cbc2f33513799fae11cc69798d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back