Tap questions

Brento

Registered
Registered
I have these 5/16-18 Greenfield taps here. My question is they have 3 different classes on them idk what the classes mean however bc they are

X12
X8
U12
X3
Y10

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Looking at your picture you have two different types of taps. The upper (farther from the camera) are called spiral flute taps, the chips are driven out the back of a blind hole. the other three are spiral point taps, the chips are driven out the other end of a through hole. (if you already know this, forgive me)

Classes have to do with accuracy of the grind. Some taps (don't remember the way the numbers go) cut closer to the standard size, (are more accurate) For general use the less expensive taps (the ones we use every day) don't need that degree of accuracy. I can't explain the classes on your taps.

All five of them are coated with a 'slick' 'hard' coating, improving their cutting ability and life. There are brand names for these coatings, (there are many), all are better than none.

Yea thank you @T Bredehoft i did know all of that information but appreciate the classroom none the less. I am just curious what those classes mean or just any information on them at all.

The H3 is the size rating. I believe it is 0005" over dimension for each number. H1 is 0005" over and H5 is 0025" .

Joe

I'm not aware of the significance of the U, X and Y codes. I suspect they are just manufacturers codes (lot, plant, shift sort of thing).

A phone call to Greenfield (Applications Engineer for taps,) would probably get you a definitive answer.
Make the call, then teach us something.

Back