Tap Storage Ideas

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I buy taps at my local used tool store buy the jar full. I hate having to dig through a pile of taps to find the one I need. I'm looking for ideas on how to store them in a orderly fashion.

I use a scrap block of whatever is handy (aluminum, wood, plastic) drill a series of holes spaced about 1/4" spacing and drop the taps in by the shank, leaving the threading portion up. Arrange from small to large and you can get real close to your desired size with just a glance. I've tried to sort further, separate blocks for fine vs coarse thread, but that never stays sorted for long.....

I use a scrap block of whatever is handy (aluminum, wood, plastic) drill a series of holes spaced about 1/4" spacing and drop the taps in by the shank, leaving the threading portion up. Arrange from small to large and you can get real close to your desired size with just a glance. I've tried to sort further, separate blocks for fine vs coarse thread, but that never stays sorted for long.....

Yup, just what I was going to say!

I use those flat plastic divider boxes like some people use for fishing tackle. Each compartment holds one or more taps, tap drill (so I don't have to search separately for the tap drill), and die for a size.

I use those flat plastic divider boxes like some people use for fishing tackle. Each compartment holds one or more taps, tap drill (so I don't have to search separately for the tap drill), and die for a size.

This is what I do also. Live not having to hunt down the proper drill.

I have my taps and dies in one of those little multi drawer parts cabinet; it's hung on the wall near my machines. I labeled each drawer with a label maker so I can find the correct size easily.

I store my taps in the tall Plano boxes. about 4x6x 4inches deep. I drill a block of wood to put the top of the taps about level with the top of the box, for easy pickens. Then i built a small shelf on the bottom of my floor rafters to hold those boxes. When i need a tap, i reach up and pull down a box. Like they said i have holes in the block for the appropriate drill as well. And Plano boxes are made right here in the USA not China,
Somewhere i saw blocks premade that hold your taps. They had a tap, a tap drill, and a thread pass drill, right side by side and then stair stepping down for size. Might be a good idea.

This it the way I store most of my smaller taps. I have accumulated quite a few over the years and this method is convenient for me.

David

tooling 005.jpg tooling 006.jpg

Just metal cans with screw on lid Pipehack. They have a cork seal in lid. Army issue maybe? They are olive in color! Acquired about 40 of them several years ago.

David

Back