Tap Storage Ideas

I cut small pieces of heat shrink for most the taps I don't use on a regular basis. Got the idea here from some one doing the same with reamers. Clear is best. Good for the hobby guys.

I store both my taps and lathe bits in ice cube trays, the kind that makes ice cubes for bottles. started keeping 1 tray beside the mill so bits ,edge finder, etc. don't roll off.

I throw mine in a drawer. It takes half an hour to find the size I need. If I don't have the right size, it takes an hour to figure that out.

I need to do something.

I took this idea and ordered an offer of three each from Amazon.. Used two for taps and then decided to use one for my drill mill bits. Now I am hooked - just ordered three more, One will be for the metric end mills, another for ball end mills, the third for center drills. Bet I order another set after this.

thanks for the idea. can always use something to make life just a bit easier.

I posted this in another tap storage thread. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tap-storage-tip.59897/

I saw this dish drainer mat at Dollar Store the other day. It looked like it would store end mills, and also taps. The spacing of the ribs allows end mills up to 1/2" diameter to be stored side-by-side, and 5/8" end mills can be separated by up to a 1/2" end mill. 3/4" end mills require a 3/8" diameter end mill for separation.

I will be trimming this one down to fit in a 12" deep drawer. The cut will be at the bottom of the full width of the ribs.

This had nubs on the back to make it lower in the middle and drain toward the open end. I used a small back saw to cut off the taller nubs, and used a 4-1/2" angle grinder to smooth out my cuts and remove the smallest nubs.

I think it should work just a well for taps. Narrow strips of tape (like striping tape for cars) could be used to keep items from moving when the drawer is opened and closed.

End Mill Tray.jpg

I dislike any taps stored in contact others. I've not been able to find a source for those little trays/cases that come from the OEM, so I've come up with a different system for taps (and other cutters) up to .500 in OD.

I cut a plastic soda straw to the length of the tap and store multiples in Square Adjustable-Length Plastic Tubes.
Soda straws are available in various inside diameters. I have them in 5 different IDs from about .220" up to about .500".

If you decide to buy some straws, disregard the terms 'Jumbo' and 'Giant' for the most part because they don't seem to indicate any particular diameter (just marketing drivel). If you can't measure before you buy, look for sellers that specify the diameter. I haven't found one that specifies ID vs OD so ordering online is a bit of a crap shoot. YMMV

Back