Tap Wrench Repair

speedre9

Active User
Registered
A long time past I bought a ratcheting tap wrench from this company ENCO, I think they are defunct now. I broke one of the jaws and never got around to fixing it. Now I want to but I can't seem to find sources for tap wrench parts. What are tthe chances I can make one myself, is it advanced skill, I shake an awfull lot these days.

ENCO was owned by MSC Direct who closed down ENCO about 14 months ago. MSC Direct may have the original ENCO part number for the old wrench in their system for look-up to provide the MSC Direct equivalent part number, but I do not think they may sell spare parts for these.

MrPete222 has a YouTube video on making a moveable jaw for a Greenfield tap wrench. He also has videos on making a tap wrench.

DP, he has a ratcheting tap wrench.
I think you are on your own for that part. I am not a fan of the ratcheting type. I don't have one, I just always thought a solid one would be better. I have 2 General styles. The blocks (like collets sought of) come out of the holder. They are hardened and really grab nicely. I don't like those 4 pronger types.

Part No. RTW1
$39.95
Qty
Features & Benefits
  • For hard-to-reach areas
  • Sliding T-handle for extra leverage
  • Three position "gear-box" for loading and left/right tapping
Full Details Below These are still available from Matco Tools. I have both sizes and they work very well. Don't know if they have parts but if this is the same as you have you could check with them to see if parts are available.

Had one of those once. When the ratchet slipped while tapping the tap broke. Threw the wrench right into the trash across the room. Don't trust them now.

Yankee made that style , the one pictured. General made or still makes them in another style.. You I bet can make it if you have one to match it too.

Don't know about other makers but the ones I still have from Matco Tools were made in Germany the marking is still on the body of the tool. I looked again but there is no manufacturer just says made in Germany. I've had mine for a good many years way before I sold the auto repair business and I've had very good luck with them. Once in awhile when using I happen to switch the lever but never broke any taps by doing so.

Don't know about other makers but the ones I still have from Matco Tools were made in Germany the marking is still on the body of the tool. I looked again but there is no manufacturer just says made in Germany. I've had mine for a good many years way before I sold the auto repair business and I've had very good luck with them. Once in awhile when using I happen to switch the lever but never broke any taps by doing so.

Yup, the German made ones are the best though the new ones aren't as well made as the older ones. I have two pair of these each set has the small and large sizes. I found that I had to completely disassemble them, deburr and oil them to get the performance I wanted. They work perfectly now. The one pair I had to add the center drill in the top to use them in the mill. I hand tap in the mill with the aid of a spring loaded center. Once the tap is started true I will switch over to the other style wrench.

Almost forgot, I use these when all I need to do is a little thread clean up or chasing.

Back