Tap wrench suggestions?

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm tapping holes for my belt grinder build. The harbor freight taps are working alright, but the wrench is beyond crap. I think I could 3D print a stronger one. Anyone have one they like that is somewhat available? Perhaps $50 budget?

I have a dewalt T handle I was thinking of returning. If you have one, let me know if it's any good. Reviews seem mixed on it. I don't want to open it if I'm going to return it.

I don't know how much hand tapping I'll end up doing, but I would like to get a decent one.

eBay is chock full of good quality older tap handles from American companies like Starrett or Greenfield. I'd look there first.
If you want new, Starrett is a good choice. Some folks say they aren't as good as they used to be, but I have a 93A and it's
fine as far as I can tell.

If you were in Canada, I would tell you to get one of Canadian Tires ratcheting ones. They are made in Germany. I've used one at work for almost 30 years. I bought a cheap Chinese knockoff for home and used it once. I then bought a Canadian Tire one. The General one gets OK reviews.

I use Walton piloted spindle tap wrenches most of the time. I have two sizes - one for 1/4" and below and a larger one for above 1/4". I don't think Walton produces them anymore but they are high quality drivers and make it easy to tap accurately on the mill, drill press and lathe. Here is a link: http://www.abmtools.com/product/piloted-spindle-tap-wrench/

I'm tapping holes for my belt grinder build. The harbor freight taps are working alright, but the wrench is beyond crap. I think I could 3D print a stronger one. Anyone have one they like that is somewhat available? Perhaps $50 budget? .
I actually picked up horror frights ratcheting handle. It doesn't do tiny taps, but it has been sold for me.

I'm tapping holes for my belt grinder build. The harbor freight taps are working alright, but the wrench is beyond crap. I think I could 3D print a stronger one. Anyone have one they like that is somewhat available? Perhaps $50 budget? .
I actually picked up horror frights ratcheting handle. It doesn't do tiny taps, but it has been sold for me.
Plus a smaller wrench from granger. The small one from granger had a square hole to allow ratcheting wrenches, and that works with the smaller taps. The negative about that is it seems to back off when I use it because of the way I hold it.

Great stuff, thanks for the excellent information everyone! The one I was using came in a tap and die set from HF, so I didn't expect much. It was worse than anticipated though. I think I would have had more luck with pliers.

Back