TAPER ATTACHMENT BUILD???.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I've been thinking of building a taper attachment for my 11" Logan lathe. The stand offs are no problem , even setting the taper I think is figured out with a slot for adjustments and a micrometer to fine tune . Now I'm thinking a linear slide or a ball slide for the cross slide to ride on. Now I'm pretty sure either will work ?? Anyone worked with either , also I think 24" should do well on my lathe.
Another part of this I may add a copy tracer like I saw made on YouTube with a pneumatic cylinder replacing the screw slide , but I'd like to be able to add it to the taper build. Seems complicated but really it's simple to do. It should only need a 6" festo single or double max.

Square profile rail tends to be "better" than round rail, but quality blurrs the line. Automation Overstock has their own line of square profile rail at a decent price. On the other hand round rail is a little more forgiving. In either case I'd figure 1 plus inch or 25mm or larger for that application. I have CNC machines with both.

I designed one for my 9" SBL several years ago, have not built it yet. Have the material on hand. I designed it using ball/roller bearings for the slides. Also will have a telescopic cross feed screw. I made the screw many years ago, at least have one part done.

Reactions: Z2V
Square profile rail tends to be "better" than round rail, but quality blurrs the line. Automation Overstock has their own line of square profile rail at a decent price. On the other hand round rail is a little more forgiving. In either case I'd figure 1 plus inch or 25mm or larger for that application. I have CNC machines with both.
Yes I had figured on 1" or the 25 mm with a 3/8 or 1/2" base mount.

Silverbullet, I'm moving your thread over to the machine accessories forum. Not really part of the Metrology forum.

Sounds like a cool project. I just bought my South Bend 13" lathe yesterday and a taper attachment is high on my list... but quite expensive.

Do you have any rough plans sketched out?

I would consider 30"... long enough to taper pretty much any rifle barrel I might come across. I wonder if that would be too long to make the taper attachment useful for more obtuse tapers?

Last edited:
When I built mine, I just used a piece of 1/2 x 1-1/2” cold rolled and machined a slotted piece to fit. It works quite well. I just couldn’t justify the expense of precision rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a cool project. I just bought my South Bend 13" lathe yesterday and a taper attachment is high on my list... but quite expensive.

Do you have any rough plans sketched out?

I would consider 30"... long enough to taper pretty much any rifle barrel I might come across. I wonder if that would be too long to make the taper attachment useful for more obtuse tapers?

You make one, and it should be pretty easy to drill a second set of holes to move the outboard support closer to the spindle and use a short rail when absolutely necessary. If you have a DRO be aware that the bracket from the carriage to the Z axis (Y on some setups) may have a bracket that could interfere.

An alternative that might give enough flexibility would be two or three mounting points for the head end of the linear rail. FYI: Steep is relative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Atlas Toolroom taper Attachment. It’s designed for the 10 and 12 inch lathes. I could snap some pics and take some measurements if you’d like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back