Taper Attachment Chip Protectors AND a New Handle

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Yesterday I found Adam Booth's You Tube video on his Monarch lathe and I saw that there are chip protectors on the taper attachment on his lathe.
That prompted me to see if mine may have at one time had the same. Sure enough, there were two screws to hold the plates but no protectors.
Making the protectors was a simple job but I found that the handle to adjust the angle would not clear. My solution was to fabricate a low slung
handle that would clear the protectors. The handle was made from a slice of truck axle, a piece of 3/8 inch H-13 steel and a chunk of aluminum
that ended up as the ball on the handle. The protector plates need some paint but I will get to that sooner or later. The Monarch taper attachment
rides on 20 or so ball bearings and cleaning out the swarf was necessary since the taper attachment is always attached and catching chips.
P1020105.JPGP1020107.JPG
Here's a couple photos of the project:

Makes YA wonder what knothead pulled them off or ruined them. Good job on the remake look original to the machine. Monarch King of LATHES. In my opinion anyway.

Makes YA wonder what knothead pulled them off or ruined them. Good job on the remake look original to the machine. Monarch King of LATHES. In my opinion anyway.

The taper attachment on this Monarch impresses me the most because it rides on a bank of ball bearings and
the cross slide is still functional when using the taper attachment. On a lot of other lathes, you have to use the
compound for adjustment. This lathe also has a replaceable insert if you want steep or narrow tapers. I think
it will do NMTB tapers and stuff like that. I had to make my own insert to make mild tapers like Morse, Jarno,
and Brown and Sharpe tapers. Also I love the built in stop on the cross slide for tapers and threading too.

Back