Taper Attachment or DRO ???

bpctcb

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a 14x40 lathe to use for hobby precision rifle gunsmithing. I am very green having cut my first chips just a few days ago.

If you had to choose would you get a taper attachment or a DRO for a gunsmithing lathe? Which one is more useful?

I originally planned to get a taper attachment so I could contour barrels with it. But my research tells me that most everyone says it's a pain to contour barrels; better off to just buy a contoured barrel.

It has occurred to me that having a DRO might be more useful (maybe much more so) than a taper attachment.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
BP

You may find that you will never use the taper attachment, I'm not a gun smith though you could make tapered barrels by offsetting the tailstock. A DRO on the other hand is vary useful, there is otherwise no good way of measuring in the Z axis, you can set the X axis to diameter and cut multiple diameters without worry, and make an offset for every tool. I sometimes have short production runs where with only the press of a button I can run from, turning tool, grooving tool, chamfer tool and so on, then parting blade all while going to X0.0 Y0.0.

I have a taper attachment on my SB 9. I used it once in 5 years. I want to put a DRO on my lathe. It is half as useful as the DRO on my mill I will be happy.

Rick

I was offered the taper attachment that was from my lathe,but had been removed in a previous life.........the screw was cut off tho,so I didnt take the offer.........unfortunately the fellow offering died shortly after,and it became apparent why he had offered.........Anyhoo,now having to deal with the son,who isnt a giver,I gave it a miss........Im not overly impressed with DRO s on lathes...maybe on the crossfeed would be good...Depends on you r use of the machine.

Dro hands down plus you can usually just kick your tail stock out and get a taper

I have DROs on both my mill and lathe, and while I could use the machines without them, I wouldn't want to.

If I need a contoured barrel, I'll just buy it. :D

I'd go for the DRO. You would more value for you $. The DRO will be used ever day where the taper attachment not so much. My 2 cents

Back