Taper reducing sleeve stuck in tailstock barrel of GT 134

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I have a Morse taper reducing sleeve stuck in the tailstock barrel. The sleeve does not have a tang and is too short for me the press on it thru the slot in the barrel.

It looks like I will have to take the tailstock apart. Has anyone taken the tailstock apart? Are there any problems I should be anticipating?

Thanks

Howard

can you not make a bent punch that will fit the slot in the quill and reach the back of the adapter?

Had that happen not long ago. I just took it apart and drove it out with a rod that fit through the spindel/arbor. No Problem

I have a Morse taper reducing sleeve stuck in the tailstock barrel. The sleeve does not have a tang and is too short for me the press on it thru the slot in the barrel.

It looks like I will have to take the tailstock apart. Has anyone taken the tailstock apart? Are there any problems I should be anticipating?

Thanks

Howard
Glad I haven't used the adaptor in my toolchest yet.

You local auto parts store may have a bushing puller in their rental tools. It is like a slide hammer with an attachment on one end of the shaft that shaft screws into. You insert it through the bushing/me sleeve and tighten. It expands as you tighten and the fingers are larger than the i.d. of your bushing/mt sleeve. Slam it a couple of times with the sliding weight and it should come out. Keep us informed. We are all always looking for options.
Dan Coleman

edit: This is the basic tool: https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Disa...ocphy=9052416&hvtargid=pla-626009523743&psc=1

Cut a tapered piece of wood to match then shove a round Popsicle in the stuck sleeve. Stick in piece of wood and rotate or just pull the sleeve out of the tailstock and push out from rear.

Thanks everybody for your advice. Tried a couple of suggestions with no luck so I took the tailstock apart and ran a rod down the quill to dislarge the sleeve.

Well great learning opportunity. Never use a tangless adapter.:beer bottles:

Back