taping

minimill

Registered
Registered
Hi there, new to the forum and to machining. can anyone tell me what is meant by (tap 0-80 .13 deep) i understand .13 means the depth of the hole , but 0-80 or 4-40 ?????
i need help

0 = screw size 80 = threads per inch. So yes it's calling for a 0-80 thread tap. Tiny! 0.06" diameter

Thanks guys but thats so small by eyes cant see that nor my fingers holding it (wink)

Hi there, new to the forum and to machining. can anyone tell me what is meant by (tap 0-80 .13 deep) i understand .13 means the depth of the hole , but 0-80 or 4-40 ?????
i need help
I would add that the .13 means the depth of the fully cut threads.

I tapped 20 4-40 holes today, .200 deep, 7 turns on the crank in the lathe spindle, tap held in the tailstock. I was thrilled that I didn't leave the tap (or part of it) in any of the holes. I think I hit bottom twice, Saw the tap start to twist. Love those spiral flute taps.

I used to tap 0-80 holes quite often. Everytime I did I was scared. Luckily I never did break my one & only 0-80 tap which is unbelieveable to me but just thinking about it now I have that scared feeling again.

Back