Tapping 304 Ss Help

Amazon is a good place to pick up taps. One of there arrived just the other day.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8TYPZO/

The thing with amazon is you have to be patient, I've gotten stuff at 75-90% off, and other times I've had to pay full retail. The sites that monitor prices for you can be a great help if you don't need something right away.

303 stainless steel is a free cutting grade i.e fairly easy to machine/drill/tap. Buy new fine thread M12 tap. 304 stainless is also fairly straight forward to machine.
You do not specify the number to be tapped. Another way to go is buy a top cutting fluid some are dedicated for difficult/tough metals sold in small can /dispensers.
It will make a world of difference and extend the life of your taps and reduce breakage ... reduced friction and torque and less likely that you will try to force the tap to cut.
Be careful to keep clearing the hole during tapping if you use hand taps. Though spiral taps are very good for blind ( non thro')holes and the way to go still needs care to avoid breakage since you are tapping a fair depth with a fine pitch tap. All the previous posts are very sound advice. Hope this helps
Apologies for a what might appear to be a rant.

A new tap might be what I need. Along with the OSG brand, what other brands should I be looking at for a quality tap?
If you do indeed spend $70.00 on a single tap please let everyone know how it worked from a hobbyists perspective, this may eliminate a good deal of broken/difficult to tap thread, threads.

I just ran across this tap on the Motion Industries site. I have a great connection that has been working at Motion Industries for almost 25 years. And can get very good discounts on things. Anyways, this is a Morse brand tap and priced lower than I thought. Would this be a good choice? Screenshot_20170109-185229.png

If you do indeed spend $70.00 on a single tap please let everyone know how it worked from a hobbyists perspective, this may eliminate a good deal of broken/difficult to tap thread, threads.
If I spend around that much money on a single tap, I will for sure let people know how well it worked. But it may not change the minds of some people. Not everybody is willing to spend that much on a tap. I don't see why not, if it makes the job easier and you have the extra funds.

Anyways, this is a Morse brand tap and priced lower than I thought. Would this be a good choice? View attachment 143428

The shank looks bigger than the threads so it might not work, you would need to look up the shank diameter and verify.

I found these 2 from Dormer they are about 50% off. You would need to look up recommended materials and coatings though.
https://www.amazon.com/Dormer-Powdered-Threading-Bottoming-M12-1-25mm/dp/B007IVHLK6/
https://www.amazon.com/Dormer-Powdered-Threading-Bottoming-M12-1-25mm/dp/B007IVI70O/

Also get yourself some tap majic, if memory serves this type is usually touted for stainless.
http://www.tapmagic.com/product/3/tap-magic-xtra-thick

Morse was a very highend tool company at one time, I do not recall using any of their tools often in the last 20 years.

The geometry looks correct so have at it, motion industries is geared toward automotive hobbyists as I recall.

I have tap magic at work. I will grab some tomorrow. I just purchased a Guhring tap and will look into the ones in your links Dan. Doesn't hurt to have more than one good tap on hand!

Morse was a very highend tool company at one time, I do not recall using any of their tools often in the last 20 years.

The geometry looks correct so have at it, motion industries is geared toward automotive hobbyists as I recall.

I ended up going with the Guhring instead. I may still end up purchasing a Morse tap in a different size since I can get them very cheap.

I have a dwindling supply of Rocol RTD cutting oil that I use when working stainless. Its pretty $pendy, especially when used neat, but it does an excellent job. High sulphur.

Cheers Phil

Back