[4]

Tapping Aluminum

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Rex Smith

Registered
I am about to tap a bunch of 10/32 x 3/4" blind holes in aluminum. I have some good quality HSS 2-flute taps and a floating tapping head that I got for the occasion. I've studied the procedure and think I know how to approach it. I looked up the feeds and speeds on the CNC zone calculator and am suspicious they are too high. I know that the speed and feed need to be compatible with the thread pitch, but the speed it's giving me is over 32 ipm. Does that make sense? I'm visualizing the tap breaking at that speed in aluminum as the tap gets galled. I don't seem to have a pecking option. I'll be using Hangsterfer's coolant in the process.
thanks, rex

gradient

Gradient
Registered
Rex,
I just checked GWizard and got 891 RPM with a feed of 27.6 ipm. This is the conservative setting. The aggressive setting is 905 RPM and 29 ipm.
Regards,

gradient

Gradient
Registered
Rex,
You didn't say, but you are using spiral flute taps for the tapping, head I hope. Standard hand taps are not meant to be used for machine tapping. :)
GWizard also calls for flood or mist use during the operation.

Marty

Rex Smith

Registered
I have a Hertel 2 flute spiral point tap. Same thing? It says it's good for thru and blind holes.
I have misting on the machine. Sounds like I'm good to go?

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
You have the right tap but I would slow down to approx. 500rpm. Put some fluid in the blind hole.

Rex Smith

Registered
That's what I was wondering about the speed. It seems to me that GWizard is a little too aggressive. It doesn't offer speeds that low for this configuration.

Rex Smith

Registered
Is there a good reference about tapping feeds and speeds, so I can understand the logic?

wawoodman

himself, himself

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
use a express tap or also called shrinker tap for aluminum, they don't cut but extrude the metal. I used to work for Besly tap co.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I sense a disturbance in the force. A spiral TIP tap is for through holes, since it moves the chips forward. In a blind hole, this is a not-good thing. A spiral FLUTE tap, OTOH, is for blind holes, since it pulls the chip backwards.

Look at page 3: https://www.yamawa.com/en/support/catalog/pdf/understanding-the-basics-of-spiral-fluted-taps.pdf
I wanted to like your post, but LIKE is not showing up for some reason, so ... I totally agree with what you said, sprial is for through, spiral flute is for blind, or through.

Rex Smith

Registered
I sense a disturbance in the force. A spiral TIP tap is for through holes, since it moves the chips forward. In a blind hole, this is a not-good thing. A spiral FLUTE tap, OTOH, is for blind holes, since it pulls the chip backwards.

Look at page 3: https://www.yamawa.com/en/support/catalog/pdf/understanding-the-basics-of-spiral-fluted-taps.pdf
Interesting that the MSC web page for that tap says it's for thru or blind holes. Anyway, I tested it on a thru hole and noted that it was pushing the chips through the bottom of the hole. So, for this particular work-piece, thru holes were fine, so I drilled them through and then tapped. It worked great btw.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I don't think I'd be running my taps that fast. Of course I'd just set up my tapping head in my drill press with a depth stop. With aluminum I'd be using a fast spiral tap . Kero or wd40 for cutting fluid. May not be CNC but they work great.

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Wawoodman is correct. I do a LOT of blind holes so spiral to me is lifting the metal up out of the hole. I'm sorry! After about 50 years of doing this stuff you can get a bit sloppy on correct names to use. I have 2 tapping heads and they don't get used much as I do 8-24 and up under power at 100rpm. Never a problem with thru holes and for blind I pay attention to the DRO so I don't bottom out. It works for me but maybe a bit harry for the younger guys.

[6]
[5] [7]