Tapping head, what size do you use the most?

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
I'm purchasing a tapping head in the next 24 hours, my problem is the sizes they do/cut off at.
So the 6" does M4 to 1/2'
The 6.5" does M5 to 1/2"
Then there are smaller ones that do M1.4 to M7
I probably do M12 the most, but very small, 3-4mm just as much. For those of you that use self reversing tapping heads, whats your go to? Do you find one you use more than others? I obviously need 2, but I will only purchase one for the time being. I feel like since larger tend to be riskier, start with the large one, but I deal with almost exclusively SS, so everything is in that risky realm. Is there something I'm missing out on that would get me sub 4mm and go up to 12mm?
Thanks Mateys!

This may sound odd to some of you, but I've never owned or used a tapping head. In all the years I've been doing this I either use a drill motor, tap by hand, on the lathe, or the mill. I learned the technique of machine tapping many years ago when I went to work in the machine shop of a large food manufacturer. I didn't think twice about it. I was showed the how to's and expected to do the job. Little did I realize at the time we were doing machine tapping without the use of a tapping head because the boss was too cheap to buy one. All worked out well and I still do it that way today.

The mill and lathe are used by far the most. I've done everything from 4-40 blind holes, to 1 7/16-12 on the machines, and up to 2-4 1/2 by hand. Over the years I'm sure I've broken a few taps, but it's been so long ago I can't remember any specifics. Since it's worked out I never considered buying a head. Maybe it's another one of those old dog's and new (or not so new) tricks

I think if you’ve used enough techniques for long enough, you find a sweet spot, but if you’ve used a tapping head, I think you’ll find life is so much less stress tapping holes of any kind. I’ve had a mixed bag of luck going with lathe and mostly by hand, but I want to move into the world of less stress with a tapping head...PROBABLY no chance of talking me out of it. I’m really leaning towards a M4 to M12....that would cover a pretty big gap, but those sub M4 sure are easy to snap in SS!

Sounds like you have the size thing figured out.

I used a taping head at my one and only factory job, the Crain Carpet Cutter Company. If you're going to do it all day long it's the only way to go.
I have a Procunier back in Michigan and if I ever get a drill press with an MT3 column it will go on there.

John

Thanks John, I just feel there is such a better argument for the very small taps over the larger (it's much harder to break a large tap over a small) and a tapping head detects that limit and reverse...I normally do NOT. ;) Guess I'll have to be more cautious until I can buy a second smaller unit. OR...I'm hoping someone jumps in with an old timey trick to use smaller taps on a bigger head....

also... Illinois appears to be shut down a while, might have more time than I thought..

I have two. One large, up to 12mm and one smaller I think up to 5mm. I seldom use them unless I have a whole lot holes to do. I generally hold the tap diirectly in the drill chuck. I do have an Ettco tap chuck that I mount in an MT3 x R8 adapter. think it holds up to 3/4.

Back