[Newbie] Tapping with button dies

Four Corners

Registered
Registered
I don't have a copy of Machinery's Handbook, and given how much even a used one costs here in Canada (if you can find one), I won't be buying one, so please don't suggest I get a copy in answer to this question. Please!

I'm trying to use a TR10x2 button die. It's a metric version of an acme thread; 10mm diameter, 2mm pitch. I cannot find anywhere on the internet what diameter the bar should start at in order to be able to use that die. It doesn't look like shoving the whole 10mm into the thing is going to work well at all. So, are there any tables or formulas that I can use to work this out?

You should probably bookmark Maryland Metrics' website. If you can't find the info you're looking for, call or email. They'll take it as a challenge and find the answer. TR10x2: https://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat16.htm

Their chart is showing 9.82 as being the min for the major diameter. I'd turn a piece of material down to that and see how it looked after threading.

Last edited:
Their chart is showing 9.82 as being the min for the major diameter. I'd turn a piece of material down to that and see how it looked after threading.
And 10.00 mm is the max. major diameter of the external thread.

buuton die.jpg
Commonly called button dies' here in Oz, and it seems Canada also. Perhaps its a British thing

I never heard the term button die either. I find it interesting regarding the names of tools (and automobile related) that are called differently around the world.

I never heard the term button die either. I find it interesting regarding the names of tools (and automobile related) that are called differently around the world.
Demographics can make things very interesting, and especially since I grew up in the southeast US. My guess out of the box was because I worked with some metal workers from Great Britian and Australia and the terms or phrases usually come out during the campfire war stories. I think of spanner wrench as a specialty tool, not spanner to describe any wrench. i.e. hand me the spanner.

That's a flood of information. Thank you all very much.
I'm going to take a look at that mdmetric website tonight. It looks good.

I seem to have caused a commotion here. Although I'm British (and have lived in Canada for 20 years) I picked up the term button die as a result of rooting around on metric (probably British) websites looking for info. To be honest, I don't know what those things are actually called here. Threading dies? Don't know.

You would never guess that Canada is a metric country. Screws, nuts and bolts, lumber, plywood are all in Imperial measurements. If our cousins to the south adopt metric then I expect tiny Canada will follow suit.

So.... this "button die" of mine is 30mm across, so it does not fit in either of the holders I own (which are Imperial). So, today's project (which I really enjoyed) was to make a metric holder for my metric die. All good practice, especially with the boring bar in some decent steel.

Back